Practical maths outside the classroom for KS1, KS2 or KS3
Follow a trail around the Botanic Garden and complete a series of differentiated practical maths activities.
The day starts with an introduction, discussing why maths is important and its relevance to the Botanic Garden. For Year 5/6 groups and KS3 groups the Fibonacci series is also briefly looked at and its appearance in nature.
Children then go out on a trail around the Garden in small groups to complete differentiated practical activities, with an accompanying worksheet.
A range of maths topics are included: number, area, symmetry, size, measurement, data handling, estimation, shape, time, direction and number patterns.
All activities are hands-on and use a variety of subjects, including plants, buildings, a pond, garden ornaments and the Garden layout. All the maths equipment needed to complete the activities is provided.
The day finishes with fun group maths challenges using sticks.
A member of our staff is available to introduce your pupils to the Botanic Garden and the maths activities, and to provide support throughout the day.
- Availability: All year
- Age Groups: KS1, KS2, KS3
- Numbers: One /two/ three classes at a time
- Duration: Up to a full day depending on how many activities are chosen
- Cost: £4.90 per child, with no charge for accompanying adults (minimum charge £117.60)
- Alternative option: A half-day version of this programme is available for one / two classes and children also do Islamic art for half a day
To book please contact the Botanic Garden Education Office on 0116 271 2933 or email us.