Practical maths outside the classroom for KS1, KS2 or KS3.
The day starts with an introduction, discussing why maths is important and its relevance to the Botanic Garden. For Year 5/6 groups and KS3 the Fibonacci series is also looked at and its appearance in nature.
Children follow a trail around the Garden in small groups to complete differentiated practical activities, with an accompanying worksheet.
A range of maths topics are included: number, area, symmetry, size, measurement, data handling, estimation, shape, time, direction and number patterns.
All activities are hands-on and use a variety of subjects, including plants, buildings, a pond, garden ornaments and the Garden layout. All the maths equipment needed to complete the activities is provided.Extension activities are available.
A member of our staff is available to introduce your pupils to the Botanic Garden and the maths activities, and to provide support throughout the day.
- Availability: All year
- Age Groups: KS1, KS2, KS3
- Numbers: One /two/ three classes
- Duration: Up to a full day depending on how many activities are chosen
- Cost: £5.00 per child, with no charge for accompanying adults (minimum charge £120)
- Alternative option: A half-day version of this programme is available for one / two classes and can be combined with a half-day programme on Islamic art or other activities. Please contact us to check what is available.
To book please contact the Botanic Garden Education Office on 0116 271 2933 or email us.