As the University's principal 'academic board', Senate is the custodian of the institution's academic integrity. Its constitution and powers are prescribed in the Statutes and Ordinances of the University. Subject to the overall authority of Council, Senate is concerned with directing and regulating the academic life of the University, including:
- provision and standards of teaching
- promotion and standards of research
- standards of student examinations and assessments
- organisation of the Colleges, Schools and Departments of the University
Find out more about the members of the Senate.
Read the minutes of Senate meetings.
- Code of Practice for Academic Governance (PDF, 185kb)
- Code of Practice for Academic Governance: Terms of Reference (PDF, 339kb)
- Standing Orders 2020-2022 (PDF, 158kb)
Meetings of Senate
Senate normally holds three Ordinary meetings in each academic year – in November, March and June.
Ordinary meetings of Senate in 2021-2022 (all starting at 2.00pm on a Wednesday)
- 3 November 2021
- 2 March 2022
- 22 June 2022