English language requirements
- For up-to-date information relating to possible alternative arrangements for English testing due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, please see our COVID-19 FAQs.
In order to study at the University of Leicester, your written and spoken English must be good enough for you to fully understand, and benefit from, your degree course. (Please note that we have slightly different requirements for PhD students.)
You can demonstrate your English language ability in any one of these ways:
- Education in English: You attended secondary (high) school or university in a country approved by the University as teaching in the medium of English.
- IELTS: The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is the world’s most popular English language proficiency test for higher education. Every degree page on our website specifies a minimum IELTS score.
- Selected Indian degrees: An undergraduate degree from one of the universities listed on the India page.
- Other tests and qualifications: Use this table to see whether the score or mark you achieved matches the IELTS score for your chosen degree course. Please note that any test must be less than two years old at the start of your degree course.
Please note: you do not need to submit a Secure English Language Test (SELT) in order to study a degree course at the University of Leicester.
Improving your English at Leicester
If you are an international student who does not currently meet our entry requirements, you can improve your English language skills at Leicester before starting your degree with a pre-sessional language course at our English Language Teaching Unit (ELTU).
- Each course consists of 21 hours of intensive language training per week
- Small international classes - maximum 16 students, but usually no more than 12
- Your current language level will determine how many weeks you spend on the course
Tier 4 visa language requirements
If you need a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK, you will also need to meet the English language requirements for that. These requirements are set by the UK Government.
If you are not sure if you meet our English Language requirements, please contact either firstname.lastname@example.org (for undergraduate courses) or email@example.com (for postgraduate courses) and our staff will be happy to advise you.
Important: If there is any doubt about your English language ability, the University of Leicester reserves the right to require you to achieve a satisfactory score in a recognised English language test, or to pass a test of competence, set and marked by our English Language Teaching Unit.
Please note: the English Language and Tier 4 visa requirements are different for ELTU courses. Please see the English Language Teaching Unit website for further information.