Forest School taster days
Unfortunately due to staffing issues at the Leicestershire and Rutland Wildlife Trust we are not able to offer these workshops at the moment.
Your day will be led by Forest School trained leaders from the Leicestershire and Rutland Wildlife Trust. The pupils will take part in practical hands-on activities. They will learn new skills, explore nature and natural materials first-hand.
Choose three Woodland Workshops to make a full day of activity at the Attenborough Arboretum. Each day includes a certificate to take home. All are suitable for EYFS / KS1 / KS2.
- Woodwork: Use a range of tools to create items out of wood such as medallions / pendants, beads, mobiles, animals, kazoos and other musical instruments or magic staffs
- Shelter Building: Work in small groups to create a shelter using ropes, sheets, tarpaulins and branches. Groups can design their own shelter or make one from examples provided
- Natural painting: Using a pestle and mortar make paint from natural materials like mud, leaves, flowers and berries. Paint a picture and make a frame using sticks. Or use a mallet to squash leaves and flowers onto cloth to create works of art
- Mud!: Set up a mud cafe and design your own mud cakes, shakes, pies... Try creating mud paintings, balls, faces and more!
- Music: Listen to Marin Waddell's story 'The Happy Hedgehog' and make music of your own using the natural features of the Arboretum. Make a kazoo, shaker and rattle and work together to replicate the sound of a rainstorm.
- Mammal tracks: Look for and follow tracks and learn about the mammals that created them. Create some prints of your own and make a clay animal to take home
- Fire!: In groups learn how to light a small fire safely using a firesteel and cotton wool. Then whittle a stick and toast a marshmallow on the big campfire
For more details including year group specific workshops.
- Availability: All year
- Age groups: EYFS / KS1 / KS2
- Numbers: up to 35 (one class)
- Duration: Full day
- Lunch: An inside space will be provided if needed
- Site: Attenborough Arboretum, Carisbrooke Rd
- Cost: Please visit our programme costs page