Forest School taster days
Your day will be led by Forest School trained leaders from the Leicestershire and Rutland Wildlife Trust. The pupils will take part in practical hands-on activities. They will learn new skills, explore nature and natural materials first-hand.
Choose three Woodland Workshops to make a full day of activity at the Attenborough Arboretum. Each day includes a certificate to take home. All are suitable for EYFS / KS1 / KS2.
- Woodwork: Use a range of tools to create items out of wood such as medallions / pendants, beads, mobiles, animals, kazoos and other musical instruments or magic staffs
- Shelter Building: Work in small groups to create a shelter using ropes, sheets, tarpaulins and branches. Groups can design their own shelter or make one from examples provided
- Natural painting: Using a pestle and mortar make paint from natural materials like mud, leaves, flowers and berries. Paint a picture and make a frame using sticks. Or use a mallet to squash leaves and flowers onto cloth to create works of art
- Mud!: Set up a mud cafe and design your own mud cakes, shakes, pies... Try creating mud paintings, balls, faces and more!
- Music: Listen to Marin Waddell's story 'The Happy hedgehog' and make music of your own using the natural features of the Arboretum. Make a kazoo, shaker and rattle and work together to replicate the sound of a rainstorm.
- Mammal tracks: Look for and follow tracks and learn about the mammals that created them. Create some prints of your own and make a clay animal to take home
- Fire!: In groups learn how to light a small fire safely using a firesteel and cotton wool. Then whittle a stick and toast a marshmallow on the big campfire
For more details including year group specific workshops. Then click on Woodland Workshops.
- Availability: All year
- Age groups: EYFS / KS1 / KS2
- Numbers: up to 35 (one class)
- Duration: Full day
- Lunch: An inside space will be provided if needed
- Site: Attenborough Arboretum, Carisbrooke Rd
- Cost: £5.90 per child (minimum charge £141.60) no charge for adults
To book contact the University of Leicester Botanic Garden 0116 271 2933 or email us.