- Associate Professor in Nursing
- +44 (0)116 229 7355
A mental health nursing academic who has substantial experience of working in research intensive universities and who has undertaken a number of senior roles including Level 6 Manager, Course Lead for Undergraduate Nursing, and now Program Lead for Nursing for our flagship programme: MSci Nursing with Leadership dual registration (adult and mental health nursing/child and mental health nursing), an undergraduate, pre-registration programme.
- MSc Healthcare Education, Sheffield Hallam University
- BA (Hons) Nursing (Mental health), Sheffield Hallam University
- Registered Nurse Teacher, Nursing and Midwifery Council
- Registered Mental Health Nurse (NMC)
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Supervising and Assessing in Practice, University of Nottingham
Gary has experience of facilitating learning for large students groups, seminar groups and using online resources and social media. Gary’s main teaching relates to:
- Mental Health
- Personality Disorder
- Suicide and self-harm
- Working with offenders
Currently studying part-time for a PhD entitled ‘How are Male Professional Footballers Affected by Mental Health within Football?
The aim of the research study is to understand how issues in male professional football are constructed socially and impact upon mental health.
- To identify the issues in male professional football than can affect men’s mental health.
- To critically discuss the social construction of male professional football and how men are socialised into professional football
- To explore how the identified issues, affect men’s help seeking behaviour within professional football.
Awards and nominations
- 2014 – Nominated for Inspirational Teacher Award
- 2015 – Winner of an Inspirational Teacher Award
- 2016 – Faculty winner of an Inspirational Teacher Award & Nominated for University Award. Also nominated for outstanding student support award.
- 2018 – Invited to be the President the Men Into Nursing Together (MINT) group
- Cardiff University
External Examiner for BN mental Health Nursing 2019 – present
Souter Gary, Tonge Alan and Culvin Alex (2021). The impact of Covid-19 on the mental health of professional footballers. Managing Sport and Leisure, DOI: 10.1080/23750472.2021.1877569
Souter, Gary, (2019). Substance abuse and gambling in professional football. Football Medicine and Performance, 30.
Souter, Gary, Lewis, Robin & Serrant, Laura (2018). Men, Mental Health and Elite Sport: A Narrative Review. Sports Medicine – Open. DOI: 10.1186/s40798-018-0175-7
Wood, David and Souter, Gary (2018). “What can be done about the lack of men in nursing?” Nursing Times. 24 September 2018
Stickley, Theodore; Hui, Ada; Souter, Gary & Mills, Danielle (2016) A community arts programme for older people: an evaluation, Mental Health and Social Inclusion, 20 (1), 22-28
Souter, Gary (2015). Why do men self-harm? A literature review. British Journal of Mental Health Nursing, Vol 4 (4)
Souter, Gary (2015). An action research project to evaluate the named nurse understanding of Recovery in forensic mental health. British Journal of Mental Health Nursing, Vol 4 (2)
Stickley,Theodore, Paul, Keyna, Crosbie,Brian, Watson, Michael and Souter, Gary (2014): Dancing for life: an evaluation of a UK rural dance programme, International Journal of Health Promotion and Education, DOI: 10.1080/14635240.2014.942438
Souter G (2014) “Is there a way to educate staff and inform practice by exploring the reasons men self-harm?” - Rotherham, Doncaster and South Humber (RDaSH) NHS Trust Annual Research Day
Souter G (2014) “Is there a way to educate staff and inform practice by exploring the reasons men self-harm?” March 2015 - BIGSPD (British and Irish Group for the Study of Personality Disorder) Leeds.