UK Law Degree Transfer Programme
If you have completed the first year of a qualifying programme at a partner university in Malaysia, you can continue your studies at Leicester Law School on the second and final year of our LLB Programme. You’ll join a supportive community of legal experts at a world-leading University in the diverse and welcoming city of Leicester. Our campus-based blended learning option combines the best of face-to-face on campus teaching and online learning. Further details can be found on our ignite page.
Our partner universities
The University of Leicester has one of the largest and most international law schools within the United Kingdom. We are extremely pleased to welcome LLB Law students from Malaysian universities each year. As a student at a partner university, you will be able to enter into the Second or Third Year of our LLB Law degree, graduating with a qualifying law degree which satisfies the entry requirements for the Certificate in Legal Practice (CLP) in Malaysia and bar courses (Bar Professional Course or Bar Training Course) in the UK.
We welcome applications from students who have studied equivalent programmes in Malaysia. Contact us to find out if you meet our entry requirements.
- Job prospects are excellent: 95% of our law students are employed (or studying for a Master’s degree) six months after graduating. (DLHE)
- You’ll get personal support with your learning in our small group tutorial classes and seminars. You will have close contact with the tutor and get your questions answered.
- Leicester Law School has a strong reputation within the legal professions and our annual Law Fair attracts leading employers - all five Magic Circle firms regularly visit Leicester to recruit our students in addition to employers from a wide range of international, regional and local legal firms.
- Gain practical skills through our Pro Bono Society, which offers hundreds of volunteer roles across an extensive range of projects. Working alongside legal professionals, you can advise real clients in our Legal Advice Clinic and support the local community at Leicester County Court.
- Participate in our annual mooting event and various other competitions organised by our award-winning Leicester University Law Society such as client interviewing, negotiation and mediation.
What our students say
“I have had the best student experience at Leicester. The classes are interactive and in small groups so each students can give their opinions. Even the library is very resourceful and a conducive environment to study. I made friends and study in groups with students from all around the world.”
- Kavishree, 2+1 Pathway
What can you study?
At the University of Leicester, we pride ourselves on having academic expertise from across all fields of law. We are delighted, therefore, to be able to offer a huge range of modules – both core and optional.
When you join Leicester Law School you can tailor your options to suit your future career and ambitions.
UK Degree Transfer (1+2)
- Year 1 at your home university
- Year 2 at Leicester: Law of Tort, Land Law, EU Law and Equity and Trusts
- Final Year at Leicester: 120 credits of options drawn from Lists A, B and C below, studying 4 modules at a time.
UK Degree Transfer (2+1)
- Year 1 at a partner university
- Year 2 at a partner university
- Final Year at Leicester: Equity and Trusts , Legal Foundations of the European Union and 75 credits of options from below.
- Choose either
- two from List A and one from List C; or
- one from List A, one from List B and two from List C; or
- two from List B and three from List C.
Options List A (30 credit modules from Semester one and two)
- Clinical Legal Skills – A Law Clinic Module and Advanced Clinical Legal Skills
- Commercial Law
- Company Law
- Employment Law
- Family Law
- Human Rights in the 21st Century
- Immigration Law
- Intellectual Property Law
- International Law
- Law and Political Theory
- Law of Evidence
- Medical Law
Options List B (15 credit modules from Semester one)
- Clinical Legal Skills – A Law Clinic Module
- Caring and the Law
- Commercial Property
- Criminal Justice: Policing, Sentencing and Rehabilitation Justice
- International Commercial Arbitration
Options List C (15 credit modules from Semester two)
- Advanced Clinical Legal Skills
- Canadian Constitutional Law
- Criminal Justice: Prosecutions and Criminal Trials
- Dispute Resolution
- Inheritance Law
- Law and Gender
- Real Estate in Practice
Year 2 (1+2)
Pass all year 1 subjects in one sitting with an average of 50%
Year 3 (2+1)
Pass all year 1 subjects in one sitting with an average of 50% and pass all year 2 subjects in one sitting with an average of 60%
Please note that the UK Law Degree Transfer Programme does not apply to students who are part way through a law degree at another UK university.
English Language Requirements
- English 1119 – A to C, or
- GCSE/iGCSE grade A*/9 to C/4 English Language in a syllabus which includes listening and speaking, or
- IELTS 6.5 (minimum of 6.0 in each component)
See our website for details of other qualifications which we also accept for proof of English language ability.
- £1,682.50 scholarship, per year, for all students from partner universities starting at Leicester in September 2021,
- £3,000 Excellence Scholarships for top performing students from partner universities
Consult your preferred partner university for course entry points in the first year. Year two and year three start at Leicester in late September of each year. (Term dates)
How to apply
- Through UCAS. Leicester’s institution code is L34 and the course code is M100, 2nd year (for the 1+2 programme) or 3rd year entry (for the 2+1 programme).
- Through our direct application form available from our Global Recruitment Officer.
- Click here for more information about applying and getting ready to come to Leicester.
For further enquiries please contact Kristin Loong, Global Recruitment Officer based in Malaysia