Download and complete the Research Proposal Form making sure we offer PhD supervision in the area you want to research.
NOTE: If your proposal is not submitted on the Proposal Form your application will not be considered.
Chose your mode of study and click on the appropriate Apply Button at the bottom of the page to start your online application.
Upload the following documents to your online application when prompted:
- Your completed Research Proposal Form
- Up to date CV
- Personal statement explaining your interest in the research, your experience, why it is worth doing and why we should consider you.
- Copies of your Degree Certificates and Marks Transcripts of study already completed and if possible a transcript to-date of any study currently being undertaken. If your documents are not in English please include an official translation.
- Evidence of English language proficiency if applicable
- In the reference section please enter the contact details of your two academic referees in the text boxes provided or upload letters of reference if already available.
- In the funding section state clearly how you intend to fund your study. If you do not have an official sponsor or are not applying for one of our advertised studentships please ensure you are able to fund your own study.
When to apply
We have intakes in January, May and September each year.
Distance learning courses We have intakes in January, May and September each year.
You should try to submit your application as far in advance of your preferred start date as possible.
If you are an international applicant and require a visa to study in the UK you can only study full time and you should submit your application at least four months before the proposed start date.
After you have submitted your application, it will take a minimum of six weeks for you to receive a decision about your application.
Tuition fees vary according to your fee status and the mode of study (full-time, part-time or distance learning). For clarification please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
*UK fees will rise each year of study in line with UKRI rates.
UK campus based Full-time
- 2022/3 academic year: £4,596 per year
- 2023/4 academic year: TBC in early 2023
UK campus based Part-time
International campus based Full-time
- 2022/23 academic year: £2,298 per year (UK only)
- 2023/24 academic year: TBC in early 2023
- 2022/23 academic year: £15,600 - £17,500 per year
- 2023/24 academic year: £16,200 - £18,200 per year
* International fees for research degrees in this subject area vary according to the nature of the research project to be undertaken. The applicable fee will be determined at the point an offer of admission is made and will be stated in the offer letter.
Please note that owing to UK visa restrictions, part-time campus based registration is not normally available to international applicants.
Part-time Distance learning
UK Distance Learning If you are living in the UK during your DL studies you will pay the UK fees
- Starting in 2022/23 academic year: £21,000 Total course fee
- Starting in 2023/24 academic year: £21,850 Total course fee
International Distance Learning If you are living outside of the UK during your DL studies you will pay the International fee.
- Starting in 2022/23 academic year: £25,000 Total course fee
- Starting in 2023/24 academic year: £26,000 Total course fee
Paying for distance learning
The fees quoted are the total fee for the PhD distance learning programme and are paid over the first four years of study. Fees can be paid using any of these options:
- Total course fee paid in full before first year registration
- Total course fee split into four annual payments with first annual payment made in full before first year registration
- Total course fee split into 12 equal instalment payments, spread over years 1-4 of the study. The first instalment to be paid before first year registration
If study extends beyond the 4th year no further fees are required. A payment schedule will be sent with the offer letter.
For a list of our available scholarships/studentships, please visit our funded opportunities pages.