Supervision and research areas
We offer PhD and MPhil supervision in Chemistry in areas compatible with the research interests of our academic staff including:
- Spectroscopy, Dynamics and Atmospheric Chemistry
- Chemical Biology
- Materials and Interfaces
- Sustainable Synthesis and Catalysis
Interested in a different research area?
It is important that the area you want to work in is broadly compatible with our research interests - otherwise we may not be able to accept your application.
However, please do not feel we will not be interested if there is not an exact match. It is sometimes possible to be flexible, so please contact us.
For a list of our available scholarships/studentships, please visit our funded opportunities pages.
Can you fund your own study?
We have a number of PhD projects available to UK/EU and International applicants who are able to fund their own study or who already have their own external sponsor. (see links below)
Self Funded Projects
- Professor Andrew Ellis: Interstellar ion spectroscopy
- Professor Robert Hillman: Fluorescent electroactive films for visualisation of latent fingerprints
- Dr Rama Suntharalingam: Fluorinated metallopharmaceuticals for cancer stem cell-direct therapy
- Dr Gregory Solan: Manganese catalysis: unlocking the door to new sustainable reactivity landscapes
- Dr Fabrizio Ortu: Frustrated Lewis Pairs in Rare Earth Chemistry
- Dr Elena Piletska: Application of molecular imprinted polymer nanoparticles for surface proteomics
- Dr Alison Stuart: Difluorination of Alkenes
- Dr Shengfu Yang: Micro- and Nano-plastics in Environment
- Professor Sergey Piletsky: Allosteric activators for treating enzyme deficiency
- Dr Richard Hopkinson: Defining how reactive small molecules affect human health