Student engagement panels

Most students that have failed to engage with their programme of study will be referred to a panel. That is unless:

  • acceptable evidence has been provided to the engagement expert to explain the absence, and
  • the engagement expert is able to resolve the case without taking it to a panel.

You will be referred to a panel if:

  • You have not engaged with your studies by attending on-campus teaching events or accessed any online materials.
  • You have not submitted assignments or attended examinations.
  • Your overall level or pattern of engagement is causing concern that your academic and/or compliance requirements are not being met.

You'll be advised by email that your case has been referred to an engagement panel. You'll then be given the opportunity to submit your reasons for non-engagement (with supporting evidence), by completing a non-engagement evidence form (Word doc, 32.6KB). You must complete this within 5 working days. You will also be asked to explain why you've been unable respond to previous emails and other communications from your school.

The Advice Service in the Students' Union can help you complete the form and work through the process with you.

Only evidence written in English will be considered. It is a student’s responsibility to obtain and submit a verified translation, if the original evidence is in another language  - this must still adhere to the 5 working day deadline mentioned above.

A lost or faulty student ID card will not be accepted as evidence for non-attendance at campus-based events. You are advised to let the Tutor know you are in attendance if you are unable to check in using your ID card. You can visit the Student and Library Information Services to get a new card.

The engagement panel will be chaired by Senior Tutors or a member of academic staff nominated by the Head of School and will comprise of academic and professional services staff who have experience, knowledge and expertise in reviewing non-engagement cases.

Engagement panels will meet and consider all evidence relating to your case, which may include:

  • Your engagement record for the academic year to date (including the number of times your attendance stage has been reset).
  • Details of all contact made with you in relation to your engagement with your course, any advice given and outcomes.
  • Your module marks for your current programme of study (your course) to date.
  • The dates of submission of coursework and/or exam sittings, where marking is still in progress.
  • Evidence from personal tutors, the Student Support Services and/or the Student Immigration Advice and Compliance team where this available and appropriate to obtain.
  • Any evidence provided by you - if you do not submit evidence your case will be considered on the basis of all other information and evidence available to the panel at the time of its meeting.

Engagement panel outcomes

The attendance panel are focused on reaching the best possible outcome for you in the context of your specific circumstances. One of these outcomes will be reached.

Allow studying to continue

Follow up with signposting to appropriate support and guidance where required.

Suspend studies for remainder of academic year, returning to the same programme of study (course)

Arrangements will be made to return to the same programme of study at the appropriate point in the next academic year.

Suspend studies for remainder of academic year, returning to a different programme of study (course)

Arrangements will be made to return to the same programme of study at the appropriate point in the next academic year, however an application to transfer course must be completed and all academic eligibility requirements must be met. Depending on the circumstances of the individual case this may not be an option for Tier 4 students.

Transfer mode of study

Where programmes of study (courses) are available through different modes of study and all parties are in agreement (panel members and student) arrangements will be made to transfer to a part-time campus based or distance learning mode of delivery.

Permanently withdraw from studies

This outcome will only be reached when all other possibilities have been exhausted. In cases where enough credits have been accrued for an award, the profile should be presented to the next Board of Examiners so the award can be made. All decisions to permanently withdraw from studies will be independently reviewed by the Student Records Team before notifying the student.

Appealing panel decisions

  • You may only appeal against an attendance panel decision if there are (or were) circumstances significantly affecting your ability to attend timetabled teaching events, where you have evidence of this (and this evidence was not known to the attendance panel at the time they made their decision) and it was not reasonably practical for you to have made the panel aware beforehand.
  • You must submit an appeal on your own behalf, within five days of the notification of permanent withdrawal from your studies.
  • Appeals will be considered by the Head of Student Operations or their nominee.
  • Notification of the appeal outcome will complete the University's procedures and you will be issued with a Completion of Procedures letter, which will include information about the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education.

Back to top