Help and support

Attending your timetabled events is important, but your wellbeing is important to us too. Further help and support is available from staff in your school and our student support teams.

If you're having difficulty with studying

Our AccessAbility Centre offers support and practical help for students with dyslexia or other specific learning difficulties; physical, mental health or mobility difficulties; deafness or visual impairment.

The Advice Service in the Students' Union provides advice and guidance on a range of issues and University processes, including:

  • Mitigating circumstances
  • Academic appeals
  • Misconduct issues
  • Complaints
  • Changing course
  • Suspending or withdrawing from your studies
  • Issues with your course
  • Exam worries
  • Withdrawal from your course for non-attendance

Leicester Talks is an online list of support services, including University, Students’ Union (SU), Student-led and Community services. Whether you’re looking for academic advice, someone to chat to about your wellbeing, welfare guidance or a specific support group, there’s something for everyone.

If you're experiencing financial or emotional difficulties

We've got a range of teams who can provide help and support.

  • Student Welfare Service - General and specialist advice on a wide range of issues including finance, immigration, housing, leaving care, childcare and benefits.
  • Student Mental Wellbeing - This specialist service is here to help you manage your mental wellbeing and to co-ordinate the range of support available, to lessen the impact these might have on your studies. This is a free and confidential service, provided by qualified professionals for all students.

Learn more about finding help for emotional or financial difficulties (log-in required)

If you think you might need time away from your studies or you're not sure about your course

Talk to your personal tutor or school administrator. They'll be able to discuss other options, such as changing your mode of study (part-time, distance learning) or if suspending your studies is an option. They can also help you decide if transferring to a different course is possible and what steps to take.

If you are an international student studying at the University of Leicester on a Student Route visa sponsored by the University and you are unable to engage consistently with your studies due to personal circumstances, you should request a suspension of studies. You should discuss the academic, financial and immigration implications of suspension with your school, the Student Fees and Income Management team (feesandincome@le.ac.uk), and with the Student Immigration, Advice and Compliance team (visas@le.ac.uk).

Back to top