Authorised absences

The University recognises that a student may require a short absence from their studies depending on their personal circumstances. It’s really important that you talk to your school administrative team or your personal tutor about requesting time away from your studies. If your circumstances will require an extended period away you may wish to consider suspending your studies.

Reporting absence

If you are absent due to illness or other reasons - you should inform the university at the earliest possible opportunity so that appropriate action can be taken. Your school will contact you directly if you flag up that you are unfit to study.

Requesting a period of absence

Students requesting a period of absence should note the following:

  • Absences must be requested at the earliest possible opportunity. These can be for personal or religious reasons. Please follow the guidance on how to do this which was provided by your School.
  • Absences of more than seven calendar days must be requested and authorised in writing.
  • You are responsible for completing any outstanding academic work during a period of authorised absence.
  • If you've been unable to sit an exam or submit coursework for assessment because of circumstances which have caused you to be absent from teaching events, you'll need to submit a mitigating circumstances claim.
  • If your circumstances are such that you are likely to need time away from study on an ongoing basis, you should talk to your school administrative team or your personal tutor to discuss other options, such as changing your mode of study (part-time, distance learning) or suspending your studies.

Back to top