Learning experience survey - Spring 2021 privacy notice
Information you need to know
The Leicester Learning Institute and Education Strategy Unit are part of the University of Leicester. The University of Leicester is the Data Controller for your information.
The Data Protection Officer is: Elisabeth Taoudi, Data Protection Officer and Commercial Lawyer, University Of Leicester, University Road, Leicester, LE1 7RH; +44(0) 116 229 7640; email@example.com.
What information are we collecting?
We are collecting your views on learning and are also interested in broad demographic differences in responses. We will link information contained in MyStudentRecord about your:
- year of study
- your subject of study
- your race or ethnicity
- gender and disability
- age on entry
- broader contextual data’ (e.g. geographical area where the student comes from in relation to higher and lower participation)
Why are we collecting your data?
The University wants to give you the opportunity to express your learning experiences this year 2021 and what you will expect in future years. This survey is part of evaluative data we are collecting under a broad legal obligation that we are subject to through the Office for Students (OFS).
How we will use this data?
- We will use your responses to this survey to help the University make better informed decisions about how to improve the learning experience for years to come.
- We will anonymise the data after responses have been linked to student demographic data.
- The anonymised will be used internally by the Education Committee to inform decisions on aspects of learning; teaching and assessment; learner support; campus facilities and academic communities.
What is the legal basis for processing the data?
The legal basis under Data Protection which is being relied upon by the University of Leicester is Legal obligation UK GDPR Article 6 (1)(c). Where Special category data will be processed, we are relying on the Data Protection Act 2018 , Part 2 (Substantial public interest conditions) of Schedule 1:
- Paragraph 6 (1) and (2) statutory etc. purposes
- Paragraph 8 (1) equality of opportunity or treatment purposes
If we are sharing your data with others who are we sharing it with?
The information you provide will not be shared with third parties. The data will be shared only within the University for evaluation purposes.
How long we will process your data for?
The anonymised data will be retained for three years from the point of collection, in order to enable multi-year comparisons. The personal data collected will be electronically stored in a secure location on the University network for no longer than is required to generate the anonymised data for the survey analysis.
What are your rights and how to enforce them?
Where data has not been anonymised you have the:
- Right to be informed
- Right of access
- Right of rectification
How to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office?
The Information Commissioner can be contacted on:
- Information Commissioners Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK95AF
- 0303 123 1113
- ICO website