Student academic experience survey
Information you need to know
The Student Academic Experience Survey is being carried out by the Planning, Legal and Governance Directorate. The University of Leicester is the Data Controller for your information.
The Data Protection Officer is:
- Parmjit Singh Gill, Data Protection Officer
- University Of Leicester, and University Road, Leicester, LE1 7RH
This privacy notice explains how we use your personal information and your rights regarding that information and is supplementary to the main student information privacy notice.
What information are we collecting?
In the student academic experience survey we will collect the following information, this includes the level of agreement with statements relating to different aspects of your education and any more detailed written responses you provide:
- Your student email address
- IP address of the device you use when you carry out the survey
- Your views about your academic experience in the past 12 months.
As part of our analysis, we will combine your responses to the survey with the following demographic information where we already hold about you including:
- Your course/programme of study
- socio-economic background
- care-leaver status
- previous academic qualifications
- commuter status
Why are we collecting your data?
We are collecting this data to allow us to understand and respond to the experiences of our students to the programmes we offer. This will allow us to identify things that are working well, and things that can be improved.
How we will use this data?
Survey response data will be linked to demographic data that we already hold about our students, such as course, ethnicity, and gender. This linked data will by aggregated to provide reports that show satisfaction with various aspects of academic experience for students studying different programmes across the university, and different demographic groups. These reports will be used by academic schools and university divisions to improve their course programmes. Reports will not contain any information that would allow staff in academic departments to know that you participated in the survey.
We will also use your email address to notify you if you are a winner in the prize draw.
What is the legal basis for processing the data?
We will process your personal data, survey responses and demographic data as appropriate for the performance of a contract under UK GDPR Article 6.1(b) and we will process special category data including data relating to ethnicity and health (disability) with your consent under UK GDPR Article 9.2.a.
If we are sharing your data with others who are we sharing it with?
We will share the following personal data with our Survey provider, JISC, with whom we have a contract:
- Your student email address and student number, for the purpose of inviting you to participate in the survey.
- JISC will store your survey responses for a short period to allow survey response data to be downloaded and processed by specific individuals within our University, to analyse the data as described in this privacy notice.
- Your data will be deleted from Jisc’s systems once it is downloaded by the University.
To support our analysis a limited number of University members of staff from Education Services will have access to identifiable student responses, for the specific purpose of linking it to your demographic data.
Data related to individual students will not be shared with academic departments. Only anonymised, aggregated data will be shared.
How long will we process your data for?
Your identifiable data collected for this survey will be destroyed within 1 month after it has been linked to your demographic data.
What are your rights and how to enforce them?
Your rights in relation to your data are described in our student information privacy notice.
How to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office?
If you want to know more about this survey and how your data will be processed, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anyone has the right to raise concerns about how their data has been processed with The Information Commissioner who can contacted by:
- Information Commissioners Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK95AF
- 0303 123 1113
- ICO website