Working with Industry
The Leicester Precision Medicine Institute (LPMI) has many industrial partners and works with them to transform ideas into new products for the benefit of patients.
The LPMI has a strong track record of working collaboratively with industry at both the early stage of research and at the later stages of product development. We collaborate with small, medium, large and global enterprises in the areas of pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, medical technology, and diagnostics. We also offer contract research and consultancy services.
The LPMI supports businesses developing innovative precision medicine solutions to enable and advance their adoption through:
- Translational science from target through validation and to proof of concept;
- Access to clinical samples and clinical infrastructure necessary to evaluate and demonstrate efficacy
- Access to specialists in AI, data analytics and large patient cohorts data training sets;
- Access to new biological discoveries, molecular pathways and biomarkers;
- Specialist services that your company may require such as data analytics and molecular analytics
Working with Industry Examples
The East Midlands Breathomics Pathology Node (EMBER) is a Medical Research Council (MRC) and Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) funded Molecular Pathology Node hosted at the University of Leicester partnering with University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust, Loughborough University and Industry.
EMBER is developing novel breath-based systems for molecular pathology. Exhaled breath contains volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that reflect biological processes occurring within the lung and, via the bloodstream more distant organs. Projects include characterising patients with asthma, COPD and cardiovascular diseases.