What to pack
We know that when you're moving somewhere new, deciding what to bring can be a challenge. Take a look at our list of essential things to pack, from documents to home essentials.
Don't worry, there are plenty of shops and supermarkets so if you do forget something, or are an International student, you'll be able to purchase something locally.
To make life easier for you, you can purchase the following from our shop:
- Proof of ID for ID check/visa checkpoint
- UK students: passport or UK long birth certificate
- EEA or Swiss students: passport or national identity card plus your Student Visa if a Share Code has not been provided in advance
- International students: passport and visa
- Official University of Leicester documents, including your acceptance letter
- Finance and bank information – such as a bank statement or sponsor’s letter
- Accommodation documents – such as confirmation of your confirmation, arrival slot and address details
Daily life essentials
- Phone charger
- Mobile phone
- UK plug adapter
Health and wellbeing essentials
- Medication and medical information
- Face covering
Most University-managed rooms will come with the basics - a bed, wardrobe, study drawers, bedside table and shelves, desk and chair, and wastepaper bin.
Shared kitchen facilities usually include an oven, hob, sink, plenty of storage space, microwave, kettle, and fridge and freezer.
For full information on what comes with your room, search the accommodation portal.
- Bedding and sheets
- Mattress protector
- Clothes airer
- Laundry basket
- Coat hangers
- Decorations to make it feel like home
- Tea towels
- Oven gloves
- Pots and pans
- Electronic essentials
- USB stick
- Extension lead
If you are an international student, a list of items you cannot bring into the UK, including meat, milk products and weapons, has been created by UK Border Force.