Your next steps

Checklist for new students

All students

Before you arrive

You may also want to

International students

If you are an international student, you should also:

  • Check and renew your passport if necessary so it is valid for travel to the UK. Since the UK left the EU there are different rules about travelling on EU ID cards. You can only travel to and from the UK on an EU ID card if you hold Pre-Settled or Settled status. 
  • Apply for your visa – If you will spend more than 6 months in the UK, you will normally need to apply for a Student visa unless you are from the European Economic Area (EEA) or a Swiss student who has obtained Pre-Settled or Settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme. It can take a long time to get a Student visa and delays are expected in Visa Application Centres overseas. You can apply outside the UK for your visa up to 6 months before the start date of your course on your CAS and apply within the UK up to 3 months before the course start date on your CAS. If you require an ATAS Certificate or a TB Certificate you should obtain these before you submit your visa application. Your offer letter will tell you if you need to apply for an ATAS certificate. 
  • Get some British currency for use during the first few days or weeks. Everything on campus is cashless and most shops, bars etc. accept card payments, but sometimes you may need cash (for example: market stalls, taxis).
  • Plan how to get here and arrange an airport collection (if coming via London Heathrow or Birmingham)
  • Buy tickets and travel insurance.
  • Research banking in the UK and see if your bank can help you to arrange a UK bank account. 

You may also want to

  • Get a letter from a doctor for any prescribed medication you need to bring with you.
  • Bring 12 weeks’ worth of medication with you, if you are taking it on a long-term basis.
  • Get an GHIC card, if you’re coming from an EU country, which provides sickness insurance. Please note this only applies if you intend to spend less than 6 months in the UK. If you have applied for a Student visa you will have paid an IHS which will entitled you to use the UK’s NHS which is free at the point of use for most treatments.

Returning students

If you are returning for another year of study, you will need to:

  • Register as a student for this academic year - you will get an email about this
  • Arrange to pay your fees.
  • Once your payment has been processed you can complete online registration on MyStudentRecord.

Back to top