Identity check and visa checkpoint
Once you have completed online registration, to finish your registration you will need to attend either an in-person ID check (UK students) or an in-person visa checkpoint (EU/EEA/Swiss and international students) when you arrive.
If you are:
- UK citizen: you will need to bring your passport or full birth certificate to your identity check (please note we cannot accept a driving licence as this does not provide evidence of your nationality).
- an EU, EEA/Swiss citizen granted EU Pre-Settled/Settled Status (digital proof with no physical immigration documentation); you must provide evidence of this prior to your Visa Checkpoint by obtaining a Share Code and emailing it to email@example.com, along with your date of birth, student number and evidence of travel such as a boarding card or flight ticket and entry stamp.
- EU students or non-visa nationals (nationality not on the visa national list, e.g. Canada, Japan, USA, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, or the United States of America) granted a Student visa with digital proof (no physical immigration documentation): you must provide evidence of this prior to your Visa Checkpoint by obtaining a Share Code and emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with your date of birth, student number and evidence of travel such as a boarding card or flight ticket and entry stamp. You must also provide a copy of the decision notification which you received from UKVI when your visa was issued which details the conditions of your permission, e.g. working hours. When you attend your Visa Checkpoint you must also bring your passport or EU national identity card with you as ID to obtain your student ID card.
- a visa national student on a Student Visa: you must provide your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) and your passport with your entry clearance vignette (visa sticker in passport) to your Visa Checkpoint. If your entry clearance was not date-stamped at the border because you used an eGate you must bring your boarding card or travel/flight details with you so we are able to confirm when you entered the UK.
- a non EU, EEA/Swiss citizen with indefinite leave to remain or other immigration permission to be in the UK: you will need to provide documentation to prove this. If you do not have the relevant documentation because for instance you have a pending application please email email@example.com with a Home Office reference number, a passport number and your permission to contact the UKVI.
If you opted to collect your biometric residence permit from the university (rather than the post office) when you applied for your visa, you will receive it at visa checkpoint too. We will let you know when it has arrived. If you are collecting this from the Post Office you must collect this before you book an appointment to attend your Visa Checkpoint.
Once you have attended your ID check or visa checkpoint you are officially a University of Leicester student and will receive your student ID card so you can start accessing the library and your student finance.
Documents to bring with you
Make sure to bring to University with you the documents you need:
- UK students: passport or full UK birth certificate
- EEA/Swiss students: passport or or national identity card and Share Code if not provided in advance
- International students: passport and visa
Most courses will start on 25 September and students need to have completed registration as soon as possible by this date.
Don't leave it to the deadline - we recommend that you register as soon as you can after you arrive to ensure a smooth start to your studies.