Your arrival

Visa checkpoint

From 30 June 2021, EU students registering with the university will be required to evidence their right to study in the UK by attending a visa checkpoint. EU students who have obtained a digital immigration status through the EU Settlement Scheme or by after obtaining a student visa are asked to provide this evidence in advance by emailing with the relevant information. When you attend your Visa Checkpoint you must also bring your passport or EU national identity card with you as ID to obtain your student ID card.

All international students must complete their Visa Checkpoint at the start of the academic year to evidence they have valid permission to study with us, the University of Leicester. Some changes have been made to enable us to observe social distancing rules and carry out these checks in a safe manner for all. As a HEI who is permitted to sponsor international students we are required to ensure that every student has valid UK leave (permission) throughout the whole period of their study. We are required to keep copies of documents provided as part of our sponsor duties in accordance with our Privacy Notice. Students who we know are required to obtain a new visa before registering as a previous visa has expired or tier 4 sponsorship has been withdrawn will be contacted and asked to provide the relevant documentation before attending visa checkpoint.

Booking an appointment to attend Visa Checkpoint

From 8 October 2021, Visa Checkpoint will take place in the David Wilson Library. You do not need to book an appointment but should check the opening times before attending Student and Library Information Service. You must not breach any quarantine regulations to attend visa checkpoint or attend your appointment if you have any symptoms of COVID.

What happens at the Visa Checkpoint

We will check that you have provided us with copies of your visa and passport to ensure that you have valid permission to study your chosen course with us at the University of Leicester.

We will also ensure that the personal information we hold on you is correct and that we have a current UK address and phone number.

To successfully complete the visa checkpoint and register with the University all students must have provided:

  • a valid passport and visa OR
  • evidence of valid permission to study in the UK

If you do not evidence that you have valid leave (permission) to study in the UK you will not be able to register. If you are having difficulties providing evidence you should let us know as soon as possible by emailing Student Immigration Advice and Compliance (SIAC). With your consent they can liaise directly with the UKVI to confirm your status.

Once you complete the visa checkpoint you will receive your University ID card and a letter confirming that you are registered with us. We will also provide you with a letter to help you open a UK bank account.

Your permission should normally cover the full duration of your programme of study and if it does not you may be required to speak with a member of Student Immigration Advice and Compliance before you register.

What to bring with you

Please note all documents must be originals and copies will not be accepted.

New students who have BRPs or other physical immigration documentation

  • Your offer letter or other correspondence you have received from us with your nine digit student number to help us find your student record.
  • Your current passport and visa in case we need to make further checks.
  • Your visa grant letter (letter provided with your entry clearance) if you are collecting your BRP from the University

Returning students - only those who have obtained a new passport or visa

  • Your University ID Card to help us find your student record.
  • Your current/new passport and new visa.
  • Your visa grant letter (letter provided with your entry clearance) if you are collecting your BRP from the University.

EU students

EU nationals registering for the first time with the university must evidence their right to study in the UK. Continuing students who are changing course or returning from a break in studies will also have to evidence their status. We have updated our webpages to advise on what documents are acceptable both to the university for registration purposes and the UKVI (UK Visas and Immigration) when you are travelling to the UK.

Share codes for EU Students not holding physical visa documents

EU nationals who apply for visas using the 'EU Exit: ID Document Check'  app or 'UK Immigration: ID Check' app will not receive a visa in their passport or a BRP card but will instead be granted a digital status which can be evidenced by obtaining a Share code. If this applies to you please email the following to in advance of visa checkpoint to avoid delays.

  • Share code
  • Date of Birth
  • Student number
  • Evidence of travel such as a boarding card or flight ticket and entry stamp*

Please include your Student ID (this can be found on any university correspondence) and EUSS or EU Student visa in the subject field of the email.

*Only required if you have obtained a Student visa.

If you are a student who was on a Student/Tier 4 visa and your visa was cancelled perhaps due to a break in your studies, you must obtain a new Student Visa before you travel to the UK. Do not attempt to travel on a visa which has been reported to the UKVI. If your visa has been reported we will have informed you by email.

Additional information for sponsored students (including those on Tier 4 visas)

Where can I collect my Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)?

When you applied for your Student visa you will have chosen where you will collect your BRP. If you have opted to collect your BRP from the University we will let you know when it arrives and provide you with further information on how to collect it. You will normally collect it when you attend Visa Checkpoint. Otherwise, you should collect it from your chosen Post Office before attending visa checkpoint.

When should I collect my BRP?

You should collect your BRP as soon as it is safe to do so and after you have completed any period of quarantine or self-isolation. If you are not collecting your BRP from the University you should collect it before you attend visa checkpoint.

What do I need to show to collect my BRP?

To collect their BRP students must provide their original passport and entry clearance vignette (visa sticker in passport) and those of any dependants whose BRPs they are collecting. You will also have to show the visa grant letter (letter provided with your entry clearance) which states the collection point and the date your BRPs should be available for collection.

To collect your BRP you must evidence that you entered the UK between the start date and expiry date on your entry clearance so if your vignette was not stamped you must show other evidence of when you entered the UK such as a flight ticket or boarding card. This is because a BRP can only be collected once it is confirmed the holder entered the UK after the 'valid from' date and before the 'expiry date' on the entry clearance vignette.

When you collect your BRP please check the details are correct. If you require more information on BRPs please see the information provided by the UKVI.

What do I do if my 90 day entry clearance vignette has expired before travelling to the UK?

If your 90 day entry clearance vignette expires before you are able to travel to the UK you must apply online to transfer your visa. The application costs the equivalent of £154 (GDP). You will be provided with a new entry clearance vignette which will permit you to travel to the UK and collect your BRP.

When you travel to the UK you should carry the documents you provided with your visa application in your hand luggage as a UK Border Force Officer can request to see them. Please make try to see a Port Officer at the border to ensure your entry clearance vignette is stamped when you enter the country. If you cannot do this please retain your boarding card or e-ticket and email a copy with your documents to

Starting your studies

You must allow for any quarantine periods and complete the Visa Checkpoint by the relevant start date for your programme of study.

If you are delayed in coming to Leicester or you are unable to come please contact the relevant service below who will confirm with your department whether you are able to still successfully complete your course and enrol with us.

Delayed due to travel difficulties

If you are having difficulties booking flights and securing visa appointments we may be able to facilitate you starting your degree online and arriving in the UK as soon as you are able to in Semester 1. For the University to continue to sponsor your visa, you must provide us with evidence of your inability to travel to the UK in September, and you must travel to the UK as soon as you are able to. Please email your evidence to

Defer your studies

If you are going to be unable to travel to the UK in semester 1 please contact for undergraduate courses and for postgraduate courses who can offer you a deferral to the next available intake which will be either January 2022 or September 2022 depending on availability. This is likely to have implications for your student visa.

Back to top
arrow-downarrow-down-3arrow-down-2arrow-down-4arrow-leftarrow-left-3arrow-left-2arrow-leftarrow-left-4arrow-rightarrow-right-3arrow-right-2arrow-right-4arrow-uparrow-up-3arrow-up-2arrow-up-4book-2bookbuildingscalendar-2calendarcirclecrosscross-2facebookfat-l-1fat-l-2filtershead-2headinstagraminstagraminstagramlinkedinlinkedinmenuMENUMenu Arrowminusminusrotator-pausec pausepinrotator-playplayc playplussearchsnapchatsnapchatthin-l-1thin-l-2ticktweettwittertwittertwitterwechatweiboweiboyoutubeyoutube