Your arrival

EU students

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen you can continue to travel to the UK to study on courses of up to 6 months in duration without needing a visa. You can cross the UK border using a valid passport which should be valid for the whole time you are in the UK. 

EU students and study

If you're a new EU, EEA or Swiss student, not holding an Irish passport, you will have to attend a visa checkpoint before registering with the university for the first time to evidence your right to study in the UK.

Irish Nationals

Irish citizens can continue to enter and live in the UK and their rights have not changed as a result of the UK's withdrawal agreement from the EU. Students holding Irish passports will be asked to attend an ID Check and show their Irish passport the first time they register with the University of Leicester.

Registering on a course of less than 6 months in duration

If you are an EU student you do not need a visa to come to the UK for a short period. You can study on courses of up to 6 months without a visa such as some language courses or a period of Study Abroad/Erasmus. You can also do a short piece of research that’s relevant to your course overseas. EU Students registering on full length degree courses will need to request a CAS and obtain a Student visa.

You cannot study or register on a course that lasts longer than 6 months, unless it is a Distance Learning course in which case you can travel to the UK periodically to meet with your tutor. You are not permitted to work or get public funds.

Will I need to show any documents at the border?

If you have a biometric passport you may pass through the eGates and not see a border force officer however, it is always advisable to have the documents suggested below available to show if requested.

At the border you must present a valid passport which should be valid for the whole of your stay in the UK. You may also be asked for the following:

  • Your offer letter which shows you have been accepted on to a course with us
  • Evidence of funds to support yourself whilst in the UK
  • A rental agreement or details of accommodation that you have arranged for your stay
  • A return travel ticket or evidence you have the funds to pay for one

You may want to apply for a Standard Visitor visa if you have a criminal record or you’ve previously been refused entry into the UK.

Registering on a course of more than 6 months in duration

if you wish to study on a course of more than 6 months in duration you will need to show that you have either:

  • EU Pre-Settled Status or
  • EU Settled Status or
  • You have applied for either of the above

If you have not obtained a form of EU Settlement Status or applied to the EU Settlement Scheme you will need to show either:

  • A Student visa*
  • Indefinite Leave to Remain

Students with permission in these categories are permitted to work though you may have some restriction on the type* and amount of work* you can undertake.

If you have obtained a form of EU Settled Status to minimise delays at the visa checkpoint we ask that you please provide us with a Share code and your date of birth before attending visa checkpoint so we can make the necessary checks and update your record in advance. Please do this by emailing the necessary information to and including your student number in the communication.

Share codes for EU Students not holding physical visa documents

EU nationals who apply for visas using the 'EU Exit: ID Document Check'  app or 'UK Immigration: ID Check' app will not receive a visa in their passport or a BRP card but will instead be granted a digital status which can be evidenced by obtaining a Share code. If this applies to you please email the following to in advance of visa checkpoint to avoid delays.

  • Share code
  • Date of Birth
  • Student number
  • Your decision email which you received when your visa was issued. This email details the conditions of your visa such as your work restrictions.*

Please include your Student ID (this can be found on any university correspondence) and EUSS or EU Student visa in the subject field of the email.

To collect your Student ID card you must take your passport and evidence of travel such as a boarding card or flight ticket and entry stamp.*

*Only required if you have obtained a Student visa.

Family member of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen

If you are a non- EEA family member of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen you will need a valid passport and one of the following:

  • an EU Settlement Scheme family permit
  • a UK-issued EEA family permit
  • a UK-issued biometric residence permit

You cannot use an Article 10 or Article 20 residence card issued by an EEA member state.

Back to top