- Year 1 - £23,955
- Year 2 - £24,525
- Year 3 - £25,096
- Year 4 - £25,666
International students from countries not included on the Wellcome Trust list of low- and middle-income countries who are are offered a studentship with a UK tuition fee waiver/stipend studentship will need to provide evidence that they can pay the difference between UK fees and international fees for the duration of their studies.
The difference between UK and international fees to be paid by international students will be £17,138 per year (2023/4 entry this may increase for 2024/5 entry).
(UK fee for 2023/4 is £4,712 per year. International fee for 2023/4 is £21,850 per year. These may increase for 2024/5 entry).
- Candidates applying to the PhD should hold or expect to hold an undergraduate degree or a Master's degree in a relevant subject or overseas equivalent
- University of Leicester English language requirements apply
Candidates who do not meet these entry requirements, but feel they have additional research experience should describe this clearly in the applicant statement.
We welcome applications from those from underrepresented groups, including minority ethnic groups and those with disabilities.
The four-year PhD may also be undertaken on a part time basis for students who have family or other commitments (UK applicants only).
Any questions regarding flexible study can be directed to email@example.com.
Applicants should note that this programme is not intended for clinically active, medically qualified candidates.
For project enquiries please contact the relevant theme lead or the project supervisor in the first instance.
Administration and general enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to apply
How to apply
To apply, click on the Wellcome Trust DTP application button at the bottom of this page to access the online application and select September 2024.
If an offer is made the academic department will change depending on the research project.
Please upload the following to your online application:
- CV - include all your academic qualifications including those currenting being undertaken
- Applicant statement:
- Be of 700 words or less
- Explain why the candidate is planning to undertake study at PhD level
- Explain why the candidate should be considered for a PhD studentship within the Genomic Epidemiology and Public Health Genomics Doctoral Training Programme at the University of Leicester
- Degree certificates and transcripts of study already completed and if possible transcript to date of study currently being undertaken
- Evidence of English language proficiency if applicable
- In the reference section please enter the contact details of your two academic referees in the boxes provided or upload letters of reference if already available.
- In the funding section enter Wellcome Trust DTP
- In the supervisors section enter the Project Title and Reference Number of each project you want to be considered for in order of preference (up to three projects)
It is advisable that candidates approach the supervisor(s) of their proposed project(s) prior to submitting their application.
All successfully shortlisted candidates will be invited to a 30-minute interview.
Please note all interviews will be conducted either in-person or virtually.
UK/international* applicants may apply.
*International students please refer to the funding section.
International applicants will need to be able to fund the difference between UK and overseas fees for the duration of study.
International students will require a student visa in order to be able to study in the UK. If a place is offered we will provide a CAS for your visa application.
There are costs associated with the visa application process, which must be met by the student; approximately £2,500 for the visa and healthcare surcharge. Please ensure you have the means to meet these costs before you apply to the programme.