- Four Years Fees at UK rates
- Wellcome Trust stipend for the four years of the PhD*
- Wellcome Trust stipend rates: PhD Year 1 £19,919; Year 2 £21,542; Year 3 £23,298; Year 4 £23,997.
International students may be required to pay the difference between UK student fees and international student fees for the duration of their studies.
- UK Fee for 2022/3 is £4,596 per year
- International Fee for 2022/3 is £21,000 per year
Difference between UK and International Fees to be paid by International students is £16,404 per year.
Additional funding for all study options include:
- Funding for training, research costs directly related to the studentship and a contribution towards project related travel.
- A generous transition fund, focused on preparing students for their subsequent careers – this could for example provide for a student-driven choice of employment placement after submission of their PhD.
- Candidates applying to the four-year PhD should hold or expect to hold an undergraduate degree or a Master's degree in a relevant subject or overseas equivalent
- University of Leicester English language requirements apply
Candidates who do not meet these entry requirements, but feel they have additional research experience should describe this clearly in the applicant statement.
We welcome applications from those from underrepresented groups, including minority ethnic groups and those with disabilities.
The four-year PhD may also be undertaken on a part time basis for students who have family or other commitments (UK applicants only).
Any questions regarding flexible study can be directed to email@example.com.
Applicants should note that this programme is not intended for clinically active, medically qualified candidates.
For project enquiries please contact the relevant theme lead or the project supervisor in the first instance.
Administration and general enquiries to Sarah Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application enquiries can be sent to email@example.com.
How to apply
How to apply
The application in the first instance is to Health Sciences but if an offer is made the academic department may change depending on the research project. click on the Apply Button at the bottom of this page to access the online application and select September 2022.
Please upload the following to your online application:
- Applicant statement:
- Be of 700 words or less
- Explain why the candidate is planning to undertake study at PhD level
- Explain why the candidate should be considered for a PhD studentship within the Genomic Epidemiology and Public Health Genomics Doctoral Training Programme at the University of Leicester
- Degree Certificates and Transcripts of study already completed and if possible transcript to date of study currently being undertaken
- Evidence of English language proficiency if applicable
- In the reference section please enter the contact details of your two academic referees in the boxes provided or upload letters of reference if already available.
- In the funding section enter Wellcome Trust DTP
- In the Supervisors Section enter the Project Title and Reference Number of each project you want to be considered for in order of preference (up to three projects)
It is advisable that candidates approach the supervisor(s) of their proposed project(s) prior to submitting their application.
All successfully shortlisted candidates will be invited to a 30-minute interview.
Please note all interviews will be conducted virtually until further notice.
UK/ International* applicants may apply.
*International applicants must be able to demonstrate that they can fund the difference between UK and International tuition fees for the duration of the study.