The Chinese Scholarship Council (CSC), in partnership with the University of Leicester, has up to 25 full scholarships per annum available for outstanding Chinese students to undertake full-time PhD study at the University of Leicester.
The CSC and University of Leicester will support the following prioritised areas of study:
- Human Health
- Earth and Environment
- Heritage and Culture
- Social Equality
- Molecules and Materials
- Astrophysics and Planetary Science
- Clean Energy and Sustainability
- AI, Data Science and Modelling
Other subjects may be considered subject to the availability of relevant research expertise at the University of Leicester. Please refer to our Research Subjects to find out more about research at the University of Leicester and look at the Supervisor's Research interests sections for potential supervisors.
- Candidates should be citizens of the People’s Republic of China. Overseas Chinese students may be eligible for application subject to CSC policy at the time.
- Candidates must hold an unconditional offer letter from the University of Leicester before applying to the CSC. Therefore, they should fulfil the relevant academic entry requirements set by the University of Leicester, including a high level of English language proficiency. Entry requirement information for different Schools/Departments can be found here: Research Subjects
- Candidates should satisfy other application criteria set out by China Scholarship Council (CSC) https://www.csc.edu.cn/
- Successful candidates acknowledge that they should return to China upon completion of their studies.
Download and complete your Research Proposal Form. Follow the advice in the How to Apply section below.
20 December 2023: Deadline for applicants submit applications to the University.
February 2024: The University makes offer decisions and issues conditional offer letters, and provides a nomination list to the CSC.
March 2024: Successful applicants submit applications to the CSC (normally the application window is open from March 10th-30th)
May 2024: CSC complete the qualification review and the expert panel review on shortlisted candidates. The CSC confirms eligible candidates and provide a shortlist to the University
June 2024: The University confirms the list and updates successful candidates.
23rd September 2024 - PhD start date.