How to apply
Read our guide on how to apply for a postgraduate research degree in Chemistry at the University of Leicester.
Before you apply
Do you meet the entry requirements?
PhD and MPhil applicants must hold a UK undergraduate (Bachelors) degree with at least first class or upper second class honours or an equivalent qualification from a recognised overseas institution. The undergraduate qualification should normally be in a subject relevant to the subject of the PhD/MPhil.
In some cases - and particularly for funded studentships - applicants must also hold a Masters degree in a relevant subject. If a Masters degree is required, this will be stated in the course description or studentship advert.
Qualifications not completed at time of application
Applicants who have not yet completed their undergraduate or (if required) Masters degree may still be considered if they can provide evidence that they will complete this before the start of the PhD/MPhil and that their marks/grades to date are at an appropriate level.
Equivalency of overseas qualifications
International applicants who need advice on the equivalency of their qualification(s) should contact the Admissions Office.
Non-standard qualifications and professional experience
Applicants who do not hold the standard academic entry requirements may be considered if they can demonstrate relevant research/professional experience.
All applicants must satisfy the English Language entry requirement. You can browse our English Language requirements page for full details.
Please upload evidence of your English Language qualification with your application. If you do not have evidence of your English Language proficiency, your offer may be conditional on completion of an approved English Language course or qualification.
Have you got all the supporting documents?
As part of your application, we will need you to upload the following supporting documents:
- Two academic references
- Indication of your research interests and potential supervisor
- Transcript and degree certificate for your undergraduate/Bachelors degree
- Transcript and degree certificate for your postgraduate/Masters-level degree, if applicable
How will you be funding your study?
- Find out about fees for our PhD and MPhil degrees
- Details of funding available to students can be found on our studentships page
Completing your application
- Applications for both MPhil and PhD programmes are completed online.
- To avoid disappointment, applicants are advised to apply as early as possible.
- Please upload your supporting documents with your application, as missing documents may lead to a delay in processing your application.
- If you are applying for a studentship advertised by the Department, please refer to the instructions on the PhD studentships page.
After you apply
- Your application will be reviewed by the Postgraduate Admissions Tutor, Dr Andrew Hudson.
- If you are invited to interview, interviews will normally take place either in person or by telephone. The interview process allows us to determine your suitability for the research project.
- Once a decision has been made, you will be notified by email.
- If you wish to check on the status of your application, please contact the Programme Administrator, Kiri Humphreys.