Health and Wellbeing (with Ageing)
The Health and Wellbeing (with Ageing) research group brings together multidisciplinary researchers with a shared vision of improving physical and mental health and wellbeing in human populations. Our work includes the entire lifespan and different ethnicities, with a focus on health inequalities. We combine methodological expertise from the fields of epidemiology, psychometric assessment, decision-making, developmental psychology, forensic psychology, experimental cognitive neuropsychology, and old age psychiatry. Our research is impact-driven with clear pathways for translation. This is facilitated by links with policy makers (e.g. the UK Ministry of Justice), healthcare charities (e.g. Alzheimer Society), professional stakeholders (British Academy of Childhood Disability and British Society of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy), and NHS clinicians and private healthcare providers (e.g. University Hospitals of Leicester and Leicester Partnership NHS Trust; PJ Care).
Areas of research excellence include:
- Assessment approaches including psychometric and statistical modelling around the measurement of health and mental health.
- Behaviour change research including health decision-making, prescribing and treatment choices and public health risk communication.
- Developmental psychology and ageing, with particular expertise in the developmental outcomes of babies born very pre-term and clinical assessments of dementia.
- Health epidemiology including the analysis of cross-generational patterns and determinants of health.
- Public sector and organisational wellbeing with a particular focus on wellbeing in prisons and occupational resilience
Follow us on Twitter (@UoL_NPB_Health)
The Health and Wellbeing (with Ageing) research group manages a diverse project portfolio including fundamental and translational research related to assessment and treatment in population health and wellbeing across the lifespan. Below is an overview for current research grants and recent publications.
Meet the team
The Health and Wellbeing (with Ageing) research group includes a dynamic team of academic researchers and postgraduate students from the Department of Neuroscience, Psychology and Behaviour. It interfaces with research groups across the College of Life Sciences (e.g. from the Department of Population Health Sciences) and maintains active collaborations with clinical academics from NHS and private healthcare providers. Further information on core research group members is listed below.