The Health and Wellbeing (with Ageing) research group manages a diverse project portfolio including fundamental and translational research related to assessment and treatment in population health and wellbeing across the lifespan. Below is an overview for current research grants and recent publications.
Current research grants
- Cross, A. (Co-I), (2019). £850,000 awarded by ERASMUS+ Knowledge Alliance to study ‘Co-created Information Communication Technology solutions for Alzheimer’s Caregivers’.
- Gummerum, M. and Frosch, C.A. (2020-2024). £60,000 awarded by East Midlands ESRD DTP for the studentship project ‘Promoting digital resilience in adolescence’.
- Hatcher R, Palmer E, Tonkin M, and Blackmore, C. (2021-2022). £72,875 awarded by the Scottish Prison Service A health care needs assessment of the Scottish Prison Service Population.
- Jones, C. (2021). £247,000 awarded by Movember for the Resilient Leaders Programme.
- Jones, C.R., Noble, S., Robertson, N., and Maltby, J. (2021-2023). RESLEAPS: Resilient Senior Leaders Programme. Movember. £262,461.50
- Maltby, J. (Co CI) (2022). £137,000 awarded by NIHR to study ‘Mixed methods co-design and evaluation of a DECIsion Support Tool to enable shared Decision making for people who are considering cascade screening for Thoracic Aortic Disease: The DECIDE TAD Programme.’
- Maltby, J., Hall, S., and Puttick., S. (2019-2021). Resilience in STEM learning. Leverhulme Trust. 147k Recoverable.
- Maltby, J. (Co CI) (2022-2026). Optimising the care of women following childbirth related perineal trauma. NIHR Programme Grants for Applied Research. £1.2 million.
- Maltby, J. and Mukaetova-Ladinska, E. (2021-2023) £198,000 awarded by Innovate UK/ESRC for a Knowledge Transfer Partnership
- Mukaetova-Ladinska, E. (2021). £7,247,676 awarded by The Wellcome Trust for Midlands Mental Health and Neurosciences DTC bid
- Postavaru, G., Myers, B. and Ahmed, T. (2019). £18,596.65 awarded by Charity Funds, United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust, Improving access to medical services and information for newly diagnosed elderly patients with cancer in rural settings
- Pulford, B. D., Colman, A. M., Frosch, C. F., and Krockow, E. M. (2021–2024). £63,811 awarded by the Leicester Judgment and Decision Making Endowment Fund to study “Communication, deception, and iterated decisions under bounded rationality”. (Grant No. M56TH33)
- Tarrant, C., and Krockow, E.M. (2022-2025). £60,000 awarded by East Midlands ESRD DTP to fund a PhD studentship on “Active Monitoring” Versus “Wait and See”: Tackling Action Bias in Antibiotic Prescribing Through Strategic Decision Framing
Summary of key publications
Colman, A. M., Krockow, E. M., Chattoe-Brown, E., and Tarrant, C. (2019). Medical prescribing and antibiotic resistance: A game-theoretic analysis of a potentially catastrophic social dilemma. PLOS ONE, 14(4), 1–13. E0215480. doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0215480
Cooley, S. J., Jones, C. R., Kurtz, A., and Robertson, N. (2020). ‘Into the Wild’: A meta-synthesis of talking therapy in natural outdoor spaces. Clinical psychology review, 77, 101841. doi.org/10.1016/j.cpr.2020.101841
Cross, A., Naughton, F. and Sheffield, D. (2021) What is the role of stress cardiovascular reactivity in health behaviour change? A systematic review, meta-analysis and research agenda. Psychology & Health, 36(9), 1021-1040. doi.org/10.1080/08870446.2020.1825714
Day, A., Phelps, K., Maltby, J., Palmer, E., Snell, K., Raine, D. and Conroy, S. (2021). A realist evaluation of loneliness interventions for older people. Age and Ageing, 50(6), 2246-2252.
Mendonça M., Bilgin A, Wolke D. (2019). Association of Preterm Birth and Low Birth Weight with Romantic Partnership, Sexual Intercourse, and Parenthood in Adulthood: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. JAMA Network Open 2: e196961-e61
Gomez-Sanchez, J., Moreno-Rios, S., and Frosch, C.A. (2021). Alternatives or syntactic negation? Adults’ and children’s preferences for constructing counterfactual possibilities. Current Psychology. 10.1007/s12144-021-02456-2.
Jeffery, T., Postavaru, G., Matei, R. and Meizel, K. (2021). ‘I have had to stop singing because I can't take the pain’: experiences of voice, ability, and loss in singers with hypermobility spectrum disorders, Journal of Voice
Krockow, E. M., Kurvers, R. H. J. M., Herzog, S. M., Kämmer, J. E., Hamilton, R. A., Thilly, N., Macheda, G., and Pulcini, C. (2020). Harnessing the wisdom of crowds can improve guideline compliance of antibiotic prescribers and support antimicrobial stewardship. Scientific Reports, 10, 18782. doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-75063-z
Malik, S., Gunn, S., and Robertson, N. (2021). The impact of patient suicide on doctors and nurses: a critical interpretive meta-synthesis. Archives of Suicide Research, 1-21. doi.org/10.1080/13811118.2021.1885533
Maltby J, Chan M, Anderson D, Mukaetova-Ladinska EB. (2020). Validation of the Salzburg Dementia Test Prediction (SDTP) as a cognitive screening tool in an English-speaking inpatient medical setting. J Alzheimers Dis. doi: 10.3233/JAD-200183.
Maltby, J., and Hall, S. S. (2022). Less is more. Discovering the latent factors of trait resilience. Journal of Research in Personality, 104193. doi.org/10.1016/j.jrp.2022.104193
Mukaetova-Ladinska EB, Kronenberg G, Raha-Chowdhury R. (2020). COVID-19 and neurocognitive disorders. Current Opinion in Psychiatry. doi.org/10.1097/YCO.0000000000000687
Palmer, E. J., Hatcher, R. M., and Tonkin, M. J. (2020). Evaluation of digital technology in prisons. Ministry of Justice Analytical Series, Ministry of Justice, London, UK
Piotrowska, P. J., Tully, L. A., Collins, D. A., Sawrikar, V., Hawes, D., Kimonis, E. R., ... and Dadds, M. R. (2020). ParentWorks: Evaluation of an online, father-inclusive, universal parenting intervention to reduce child conduct problems. Child Psychiatry & Human Development, 51(4), 503-513. doi.org/10.1007/s10578-019-00934-0
Postavaru, G., Swaby, H. and Swaby, R. (2020). A meta-ethnographic study of fathers’ experiences of caring for a child with a life-limiting illness, Palliative Medicine 35(2), 261-279, ISSN: 1477-030X
Potter, S., Drewelies, J., Wagner, J., Duezel, S., Brose, A., Demuth, I., ... and Gerstorf, D. (2020). Trajectories of multiple subjective well-being facets across old age: The role of health and personality. Psychology and Aging, 35(6), 894. doi.org/10.1037/pag0000459
Trickett, J., Bernardi, M., Fahy, A., Lancaster, R., Larsen, J., Ni, Y., ... and Johnson, S. (2021). Disturbed sleep in children born extremely preterm is associated with behavioural and emotional symptoms. Sleep Medicine, 85, 157-165.
Trickett, J., Bernardi, M., Fahy, A., Lancaster, R., Larsen, J., Ni, Y., ... and Johnson, S. (2022). Neuropsychological abilities underpinning academic attainment in children born extremely preterm. Child Neuropsychology, 1-22. doi.org/10.1080/09297049.2021.2014433