Working at the School
Why work at the School of Computing and Mathematical Sciences?
At the School of Computing and Mathematical Sciences, you'll find a thriving environment where innovation, collaboration, and professional growth are not just buzzwords, but cornerstones of our academic community.
Join a dynamic team of world-class researchers, experienced academics, and pedagogical experts, supported by a dedicated Professional Services Team, all united by a shared passion for advancing the fields of computing and mathematical sciences.
We conduct ground-breaking research in:
- Mathematical and Computational Modelling of Natural Phenomena
- Foundations of Scientific Computing
- Trustworthy and Reliable AI and Data Science
- High-Performance AI and Data Science
- Embedded and Edge-Enhanced AI and Data Science.
We play a key role in interdisciplinary collaborations including Space Park Leicester, the Institute for Environmental Futures, the Institute for Precision Health, UKRI hub on Digital Twins for Sustainable Land Management and with partners such as BT and CGI. Our research strengths were recognized by a strong performance in REF 2021.
As a member of our supportive and inclusive work environment, you'll have ample opportunities to hone your teaching skills and expertise, preparing our students to become the next generation of leaders.
Gain comprehensive teaching experience across undergraduate and postgraduate courses, guided by our team of pedagogical experts who will assist you in integrating the latest technologies and teaching approaches into your curriculum.
Together we'll shape the future of computer science and mathematics, making a lasting impact on the world.
We’re building a great working environment, a key part of which is developing a team with what we believe are essential characteristics:
- Personal productivity and organisation: to be able to manage your work so that urgent tasks are completed on time, and effort is focussed on activities that provide the most benefit.
- Prioritising the team: to be able to prioritise the needs of the school when deciding what work to do and how to approach it.
- Integrity and accountability: To take ownership for work and responsibility for mistakes. To be honest and trustworthy. To be respectful of others and recognise the efforts and contributions they make.
- Solution focussed: To be willing to look for solutions to our own problems and contribute to identifying and solving our school’s or university’s problems, rather than expecting others to do this.
When you join our team, not only will your positive approach be valued, but you will also be working alongside colleagues who share these essential ingredients of a successful team.
Why University of Leicester?
The University is a vibrant, research-intensive institution renowned for its world-class research across a wide range of disciplines. Our Research Inspired Education strategy provides an ethos of connection between students and academics.
Experience a supportive career development framework: Our transparent promotion process, personal development opportunities, mentoring, and rewards programs will guide you towards professional fulfilment in all our career pathways, including teaching-focused, team research, and traditional teaching and research tracks.
Embrace flexible working arrangements: We provide balance in your work and personal life by supporting flexible working patterns and arrangements where possible.
Experience a commitment to staff wellbeing and equity: Our dedicated support services, ongoing equity monitoring, and inclusive work culture foster a positive and supportive environment.
Elevate your teaching and personal tutoring skills: Enhance your teaching expertise with comprehensive training programs and develop into an effective personal tutor. You can gain Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy through our courses provided by our world-class School of Education.