After you've applied

Accepting your offer

After we have received your application, you will be informed whether or not you have been successful within 28 days. You may be contacted for further information or be invited to come to an interview.

If we make you an offer, please let us know if you would like to accept that offer. You can do this by logging in to MyStudentRecord and clicking on the 'My Applications' page. If you have not already signed-up for a MyStudentRecord account, you will need to click on the ‘New User’ button and follow the on-screen instructions to create your password.

After this you will receive further instructions, including how to pay and how to register as a student. The correspondence that you receive from the University will include contact details which you can use if you have any queries.

If you are International Student you will have to pay a deposit prior to accepting your place.


If you have not supplied references, the referees that you have nominated will be contacted and offered the opportunity to upload references via a secure link, or by email. We encourage you to check that the referees have been contacted and that they respond, as it is your responsibility to ensure that we receive references.

Your references should be from an academic contact unless you are applying for a post-experience programme (such as Education or an MBA) where a professional/industrial referee would be more appropriate.

Meeting the conditions of your offer

A conditional offer means that you are required to meet certain conditions before beginning your degree course with us.

A condition may be:

  • Completing an academic qualification such as successfully finishing your school studies or current course
  • Sending us further information, such as copies of qualifications and references
  • Achieving a certain score in an English language test

Please send evidence of meeting the conditions of your offer as soon as it is available. If you are an international (non-EU) student it is essential that you do this so that we can send you an unconditional offer letter and your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number, which you will need before you can arrange your visa.

You can upload your documents to MyStudentRecord or send copies of certificates or references by email to Please make sure you include your name and University of Leicester number when you send these documents.

If English is not your first language, you may need evidence that you meet the appropriate English language requirement for your course. If you have not met that requirement you may wish to attend one of the English Language Teaching Unit's pre-sessional English courses to reach the appropriate level before your degree course begins. Students who successfully complete the course and pass a University of Leicester English test can progress to their chosen degree programme. Please visit the English Language Teaching Unit website for more details and to apply.

International students

If you're an international student, you will need to pay a deposit and complete the steps listed above, as well as applying for a CAS number and visa

If you are an international student (from outside the EU) then in order to apply for a Tier 4 General Student visa you need to be issued with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number. This is a unique reference number issued by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). Once you have firmly accepted your offer with us we can start the process of providing you with your CAS number. If there are less than six months to go before the start of your course, you’ll receive an email from us very soon.

There are five steps to applying for a CAS number from us:

  1. Accept your unconditional offer with us. Your unconditional offer will be sent once you have met the conditions of your offer.
  2. We will send you a CAS request form, asking you to confirm your personal details and the course you intend to study. If you accept more than one offer with us you can only request a CAS number for one course.
  3. Once we receive your CAS request form we will apply to UKVI for your CAS number.
  4. We will email you your CAS number, along with details of the documents we used to assess your application. If your application is complete and we are not waiting for any information such as your passport number, then we aim to get your CAS to you by email within two working days. If you have applied through an agent, we will email it to both you and your agent. Please note your CAS number is only valid for six months and you cannot make your visa application more than three months before the start of the course.
  5. If you are granted a visa, it will specify that you will study at the University of Leicester. You will not be able to use this visa to study at any other university in the UK.

Find out more about how to apply for a Tier 4 Visa. Please note that Tier 4 Visa applications also require evidence of English language ability.

Research in some sensitive areas may require you to apply for an ATAS certificate before your visa. Your offer letter will make it clear if this is the case.