We welcome students from Canada

The University of Leicester is consistently chosen as a top destination for Canadian students and there are currently more than 500 students from Canada studying with us. We maintain strong relationships with our graduates and have an excellent reputation in Canada as a leading institution for legal education. We have a vibrant student run Canadian Law Society with academic and social events throughout the academic year. We teach Canadian subjects including Foundations of Canadian Law and Canadian Constitutional Law. There are over two decades worth of Leicester graduates now successfully practicing law in Canada.

We have been awarded TEF Gold for our teaching quality and student outcomes, and are ranked top 30 in the UK and 76 in the Reuters Top 100 Most Innovative Universities in Europe. Learn more about our University rankings.

Research is at the forefront of ground-breaking work taking place at Leicester, with 89% of our overall research assessed as world-leading (4*) or internationally excellent (3*) in the Research Excellence Framework 2021. We aim to be carbon neutral by 2040 and champion environmental sustainability.

Leicester is a vibrant and multicultural city with a history stretching back nearly 2,000 years. Every year the city hosts festivals and celebrations such as Chinese Lunar New Year, Diwali, and the Caribbean Carnival. The city has been named as the UK's 9th most affordable city for students in Natwest's Student Living Index 2023 and there are plenty of opportunities for part-time work while you study. Leicester is now home to two Tim Hortons', one in the city centre and one at Fosse Park, to help provide that taste and comfort of home.

Enquire now about studying at Leicester

Entry requirements

Undergraduate (Bachelor's) degrees

If you complete secondary school studies (Grade 12) - or in Quebec, the Diploma of Collegial Studies (DCS) - you will be considered for entry to the first year of a Bachelor's degree.

If you are studying A-levels or the International Baccalaureate (IB) then you can begin from the first year of a Bachelor's degree. Please see individual course pages for entry requirements.

If you have already completed the first year of an undergraduate degree at a Canadian university, you may be considered for entry to the first or second year of a Bachelor's degree if you have studied relevant subjects and/or modules.

For more information about available degrees please see individual course pages.

Undergraduate Law students

3 year course

Please note that you can only start from the first year of a Law degree. Learn more about applying for a Law degree as a Canadian applicant.

2 year course

To apply for the two-year LLB Graduate Entry or JD Pathway degree you will need to hold a Bachelor's degree with a B average, equivalent GPA/CGPA. You could also send your transcripts to to check your eligibility to apply.

Postgraduate (Master's) degrees

If you hold a Bachelor's degree with a B average or equivalent GPA or percentage mark you will typically be considered for entry to a Master's degree. Higher marks, either overall or in relevant courses, may be required for admission to some Master's degrees.

For more information about available degrees please see individual course pages.

PhDs and other research degrees

To apply for a PhD (or other postgraduate research qualification) you must have an undergraduate (Bachelor's) degree from a recognised Canadian university, usually in a related subject area, with a B average or equivalent GPA or percentage mark (depending on the subject that you wish to study) which is equivalent to a UK Upper Second Class Honours degree (also known as a 2:1).

You must also be able to demonstrate practical knowledge of appropriate research methodologies. Research degrees are demanding and intensive: to succeed at this level you must be highly motivated, be able to work independently, and have an appropriate familiarity with the discipline and its associated research techniques/methodologies.

Where a Master's degree is required, this is indicated in the relevant description on our Postgraduate Research webpages, together with further information about requirement.

English language requirements

Please see details of our English language requirements.

Contact us

Students are welcome to directly contact Felix Han (Global Recruitment Officer), via email at, or contact our Leicester Law School directly. We are happy to answer any questions that you might have, put you in touch with our Canadian academics, current students or recent alumni, or arrange an individual consultation at a time that is convenient for you.

Visit our contact us page

Agents in your region

We work with the following agents in Canada:

Back to top