The achievements of our University’s sporting stars were celebrated last week at the annual Sports Awards.
This year has been a particularly successful one for Team Leicester. The University has maintained its undefeated title of Varsity Champion, winning the largest Leicester Varsity series to ever take place.
The past year has also seen Team Leicester’s 35 clubs raising funds for a number of different charities, and launching campaigns such as ‘Be The Influence’ to promote student wellbeing.
The award winners were as follows:
- Coach of the Year – Andrew Basford (Fencing)
- Team of the Year – Men’s Tennis 1st
- Sporting Champion – Kyle Hibbert (Tennis)
- Most Improved Club – Cricket
- Sportswoman of the Year – Abigail McLindon (Ladies Hockey)
- Sportsman of the Year – Alex Lloyd (Fencing)
- Committee of the Year – Netball
- Club of the Year – Netball
- Club Captain of the Year – George Pollitt (Cricket)
- Sports Personality of the Year – Mia Nembhard
- Varsity Performance of the Year – Women’s Cricket
Sports Officer for the Students’ Union Kennedy Adamu said: “The overall quality of Team Leicester is undoubtedly increasing every year as our clubs recognise the power and influence they have and how that can enable them to interact with other, non-sporting facets of life.
“Throughout the year, Team Leicester clubs have been involved with many of the campaigns that the Students’ Union and the University have organised, developing innovative and bold ideas that encouraged student participation. On top of this, our clubs have raised thousands of pounds throughout the year for local and national charities. This has been a fantastic year for Team Leicester in so many ways.”