TEAP Sanctuary Scholarship
The English Language Teaching Unit at the University of Leicester is glad to announce we are offering a Sanctuary Scholarship to refugee and asylum seeker students who would like to obtain a Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching English for Academic Purposes (PG Cert. TEAP). This is a Distance Learning programme that will provide you with the core competencies required for the design and delivery of effective teaching programmes in English for Academic Purposes (EAP), while furthering your knowledge across the range of key concepts and issues related to teaching EAP.
The Sanctuary Scholarship recognises that there can be factors that may make it difficult for people from asylum seeking and refugee communities to access university. You may have always aspired to study at university but faced obstacles in achieving your goal. We understand that your studies may have been interrupted, that you might not have evidence of your previous qualifications or that your qualifications aren't transferable. The Sanctuary Scholarship is designed to accommodate these factors, so don’t let these stop you from applying.
The scholarship for 2019-20 will cover the full fees for the programme (£3,830). The selected applicant must join the cohort starting in October 2019.
Before applying for this Sanctuary Scholarship, you must apply online for a place on the TEAP course. You can be considered for this scholarship if you have been offered a place on this course or are waiting for a decision.
You must also fall into one of the following status groups:
- An asylum seeker - a person who has made a claim for refugee status.
- A person who has been granted Humanitarian Protection (HP) or Limited Leave to Remain (formerly Discretionary Leave to Remain) in the UK.
- A refugee - a person who has been granted refugee status by the UK Home Office.
- The dependants of any of the above status groups, in recognition that they are also from asylum seeking or refugee backgrounds, including:
- Family members of an asylum seeker whose claim is dependent on a principal applicant; or
- Family members of an individual with refugee or Humanitarian Protection (HP) status who have come to the UK on a Family Reunion visa.
Language and Teaching Experience Requirements
In order to apply for the scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- IELTS 6.5 or equivalent
- Have at least one year’s experience as an English language teacher in any teaching context (e.g., EFL, ESOL) or educational level (e.g. primary, secondary)
- Have an initial teaching qualification
- Candidates without a formal certification but with considerable teaching experience will also be considered. The decision on their eligibility is made by the programme admissions panel and it cannot be disputed.
Submission Documents (electronic versions)
In addition to applying for this TEAP programme, you must submit the following electronic documents to apply for this scholarship:
- A cover letter explaining your interest in the programme, your teaching experience so far and how achieving the TEAP qualification would impact on your personal and professional life
- Proof of immigration status (e.g. NASS card, ARC, etc.)
- Scanned copies of your certificates (if you have them). If you are unable to provide evidence of your previous education, please use your cover letter to tell us as much as you can about your studies
- Proof of language proficiency
- Up-to-date CV
- Two reference letters, written in English. These should be recent, signed and dated by the referee
The documents above must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: 30 July 2019 by 23.59 UK time
You should provide all of the documents listed above. If you have difficulties providing any of these documents, please email us before the deadline to discuss these.