Former Universities and Science Minister David Willetts in panel debate
Former Universities and Science Minister David Willetts, who is an honorary graduate of our University and delivered the inaugural Chancellor’s Distinguished Lecture, is to return to campus to celebrate the official launch of his latest book, A University Education.
The University of Leicester and Oxford University Press have organised the event with the author on Thursday February 15. It takes place from 5pm-7pm on the University campus.
In A University Education, former Minister for Universities and Science (2010-14), David Willetts presents a compelling case for the ongoing importance of the university, both as one of the great institutions of modern society and as a transformational experience for the individual.
To explore this topic in full, an expert panel comprising academics and leading figures from higher education will discuss the themes and implications of David’s book and the audience will be invited to present their own thoughts and questions on the subject.
The panel consists of:
- (Chair) Professor Paul Boyle CBE, President and Vice-Chancellor, University of Leicester
- David Willetts, Baron Willetts, PC, FAcSS
- Mary Curnock Cook OBE, Chief Executive UCAS (2010-2017)
- Professor Chris Husbands MA, PhD, PGCE, Vice-Chancellor, Sheffield Hallam University
- Nick Hillman, Director, Higher Education Policy Institute (HEPI)
After the panel debate there will be a book signing followed by a drinks reception. You can book your place here.
Watch the oration by the Public Orator and response (7:50mins) by David Willetts on the occasion of the conferment of his honorary degree: