The School of Museum Studies offers supervision for the research degree of Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), which can be completed full-time on campus (3-4 years) or part-time by distance learning (4-7 years). We offer supervision in areas of research compatible with the interests and expertise of academic staff.
- Applicants must hold an undergraduate (Bachelor's) degree with at least First-Class or Upper Second-Class honours, or the equivalent qualification from a recognised overseas institution.
- You must also either hold a Master's degree in a relevant subject (at Merit or above) or be able to evidence equivalent research experience and academic writing skills.
- You should have a good knowledge of Museum Studies or closely related fields, but we recognise that knowledge acquired in other disciplines can also serve as a strong foundation.
- As part of your application, you must submit an independently devised Research Proposal.
See academic entry requirements and English language entry requirements.
Preparing your application
- Review our academic staff pages to ensure that we offer supervisory expertise appropriate to your project.
- Download and save our Research Proposal Form
- Take some time to develop your Research Proposal; to support this process, you can sign up for the free online course 'Discovering Your PhD Potential: Writing a Research Proposal'
- See more information about fees and how to submit your application and supporting documents
Sources of funding
We are a member of the AHRC Midlands 4 Cities (M4C) Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP) and lead the Museum Studies pathway of the ESRC Midlands Graduate School DTP. Both schemes offer scholarships to UK and International applicants annually on a competitive basis.
- View current scholarships offered by the College of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities
- FindAPhD offers up to date information on a range of PhD funding sources.
- CSC Scholarships (applicants from Commonwealth nations)
- Fulbright and Marshall Scholarships (for applicants from the USA)
- Funds for Women Graduates (living expenses)
- British Federation of Women Graduates (final year living expenses)
To ensure a timely response, please direct all PhD application enquiries to: