The University of Leicester's SafePod provides a local safe setting for researchers to access sensitive datasets.
The SafePod Network
The SafePod Network (SPN) is a major new innovation providing researchers with standardised safe settings (SafePods) across the UK for data that required secure access for research.
All SafePods operate under standardised policies and procedures providing approved researchers access to their project datasets from Data Centres that join the SPN.
What is a SafePod?
A SafePod is a standardised safe setting that provides the security and controls for data that requires secure access for research. The SafePod includes a door control access system, CCTV, a researcher area for dataset analysis, secure IT cupboard and a height adjustable desk.
The major advantage of using a SafePod is that a researcher can securely access different data centre datasets from a single location, removing the need for long distance travel to a dedicated safe setting provided by a data centre.
Registering to use a Data Centres Data
These Data Centres are currently part of the SafePod Network
- UK Data Service
- SAIL Databank
- Office for National Statistics
Researchers wishing to use a SafePod must register with the SPN, and be engaged in a research project with an SPN Data Centre. Access and conditions to use a SafePod are controlled by each Data Centre.
How to access the SafePod
The University of Leicester’s SafePod is located on the ground floor of the David Wilson Library and is available Monday to Friday 10.00am to 4.00pm (excluding public holidays and University closed days).
- Register with the SafePod Network (which includes passing an online training questionnaire on the SPN User Agreement) before a SafePod can be booked and used to access project datasets.
- Make a booking to use the SafePod through the SafePod Network website.
- Your booking will be confirmed along with any instructions on using the SafePod as determined by the Data Centre providing the data being accessed.
- Report to the Library Reception desk with details of your booking and your Photo Id
- Access to the SafePod will then be co-ordinated by trained staff from the University Library
For more information about the SafePod at Leicester contact
For general enquiries about the SafePod Network contact