Each year, following careful consideration, the University recognises the outstanding achievements of a number of distinguished individuals in a field or activity consonant with the mission of the University, with the award of an honorary degree.
Those recognised will receive their degrees during our graduation ceremonies.
July 2022 Honorary Graduates will be announced here shortly.
Distinguished Honorary Fellows
Distinguished Honorary Fellowships are awarded only to persons who have a substantial record of personal service to the University and who already hold an honorary degree of the University. There are a maximum of 24 Distinguished Honorary Fellows at any one time. (* indicates deceased)
- 2005 Frank Ephraim May, MBE
- 2005 Helen Scott, OBE *
- 2006 Sir David Frederick Attenborough, CH
- 2006 Richard Samuel Attenborough, CBE, Lord Attenborough of Richmond upon Thames *
- 2007 Sir Michael Atiyah, OM, FRS, FRSE *
- 2008 Wendy Elizabeth Hickling, OBE *
- 2008 Jean Humphreys *
- 2008 Sir Patrick Moore, Hon FRS *
- 2008 Sue Townsend, FRSL *
- 2009 Michael Chamberlain, OBE
- 2009 John Foster, OBE
- 2009 Professor Sir Alec Jeffreys, CH, FRS
- 2013 Ian Imlay *
- 2013 Kenneth Alwyne Pounds, CBE, FRS
- 2014 Adrian Weston *
- 2015 Roger Bettles
- 2017 Michael John Attenborough, CBE
- 2019 Professor Sir Peter Bell