Leicestershire Secondary SCITT
Leicestershire Secondary SCITT offer teacher training through both the SCITT and School Direct Routes, across Leicester and Leicestershire, with all courses working towards QTS and PGCE. The PGCE is awarded by the University of Leicester and we are very proud to be working in partnership with them. This allows us to offer wonderful school-based teacher training, through 5 holistic placements working with inspiring teachers while also completing your PGCE and earning your Masters credits.
Our course is based around 3 strands which we believe will prepare you for your career as a teacher:
- Professional Learning Programme – these sessions take place each Friday at the SCITT base or one of our partner schools.
- Lead Subject Tutor Sessions – you will get together with your subject specialist, a practising teacher, to explore what it means to be a great teacher of your subject. You learn how to apply the theory in your discipline
- Placements in schools being supported by your Teacher Educators
We give you 186 days of school based training and maximise those opportunities to apply the theory of teaching in the classroom. We have you experience the classroom very early on and this allows us to build up slowly, beginning with observing what great teachers do. Following this, you will be completing some work with individual students and small group activities. From here you might take over some elements of a lesson and perhaps some team teaching with your teacher educator. When you are ready, you take over one lesson, before building up slowly as you develop your awareness of how a teacher delivers a high quality lesson.
We work with over 60 schools across the county where you could be placed to complete training in the classroom. We consider a number of things when placing you in a school:
- What experiences have you had in schools – what have you learned from this?
- Where are you based and what would be a good location for you to access – we want you in the classroom, not in the car…
- What is the best department to move you forward from where you are now?
We are incredibly proud of the support that we offer to our trainees and they know that there is always someone available to talk through their situation. Whether this is your Teacher Educator, ITT Coordinator, SCITT team, Lead Subject Tutor, our wellbeing coach, other trainees or recent graduates, you know there is always someone there to support you and that means you can focus on becoming the best teacher you can be.
We are recruiting trainees in the following subjects:
- Computer Science
- Modern Foreign Languages (MFL) in French or Spanish
- Physical Education
- Art and Design
- Design and Technology
We are looking for applicants with a relevant qualification in their chosen subject (this could be a degree or a Level 3 qualification, such as an A Level), who are passionate about working with young people and making a difference. If this sounds like you then we would love to hear from you.
Find out how you could become a teacher with Leicestershire Secondary SCITT on our website www.leicestershiresecondaryscitt.org and we would love to talk to you.