English for Humanities International Summer Programme
Discover British literature and history and develop your English skills at the University of Leicester.
The main aims of this three-week course are to help participants improve their ability in both general and academic English, while also learning more about humanities subjects offered by the University of Leicester in enjoyable surroundings. It also aims to give participants an insight into life in the UK and its higher education system.
Why join the English for Humanities International Summer Programme?
- Improve your English skills in an academic and friendly environment
- Discover more about British culture, featuring films, literature, history and museums
- Develop general English language skills for everyday communication
- Find out what it's like to live and study at a renowned British university
- Make friends with other students from around the world
- Up to 17 hours of face-to-face taught classes per week on the University of Leicester campus. Classes generally take place between 9:30-11:00, 11:30-13:00 and 14:00-16:00
- Maximum group size of 16, allowing you to learn through interaction with the tutor and other students
- Enhance your CV with an international study experience
- Experience living in a vibrant and student friendly city situated in the heart of England
- Full access to the online resources of the award-winning David Wilson library
- Daily English classes, focusing on both general and academic English, with particular emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- A mixture of seminars and lectures on British culture, focusing on film studies, museum studies and English literature, with particular emphasis on Shakespeare and the discovery of the remains of King Richard III
- An individual research project and poster presentation
- Three day trips to places of interest such as London, Oxford and Stratford-upon-Avon.
- Three evening social activities with students from other international summer programmes: a welcome meal, cultural or social event, and a farewell party
- Some free time, making it possible to visit other cities or places of interest independently
- An end-of-course presentation ceremony and tutor feedback
What is the difference between Leicester Discovery International Summer Programme and English for Humanities International Summer Programme?
The English for Humanities International Summer Programme requires a higher English level and contains more academic content. It is most suitable for those who wish to develop an established interest in the humanities, in areas such as British literature and history.
The Leicester Discovery International Summer Programme aims to offer a general introduction to British life and culture. Although there are clear academic themes within course, there is more of focus on activities outside the classroom than with the English for Humanities International Summer Programme.
Dates for summer 2024
- Course dates: Monday 5 August to Friday 23 August 2024 (accommodation available from Sunday 4 August to Saturday 24 August 2024)
- Application deadline: Sunday 23 June 2024 (we may close applications earlier if the course fills up)
- Acceptance and payment deadline: Sunday 30 June 2024
- Registration deadline: Sunday 7 July 2024
- Participants are expected to have a minimum English level of IELTS 5.0 or equivalent. Alternative English qualifications will be accepted or we may be able to test your English. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions
- Participants must be aged 18 or over
Expectations on the course
- Show willingness to engage with tutors and students during class
- Attend all sessions on the timetable
- Be open and kind to students from other backgrounds
- Accommodation will be in self-catered accommodation within walking distance of the campus and the city centre
- Participants will be housed in a single study bedroom with ensuite bathroom and will share kitchen facilities. All bills and Wi-Fi access are included. Bedding and kitchen equipment are provided
- £2,200 per student
- £2,100 for students from a University of Leicester partner
Payment is required in full to accept a place on the course
- Tuition fees for all classes
- Self-catered ensuite accommodation
- All excursions and social events
- All study materials
- Access to University of Leicester facilities including the award-winning David Wilson library
- A statement of completion and written feedback
- International Summer Programme T-shirt
- Closing ceremony with prize giving
What's not included
- Airport transfers
- Meals and beverages, unless specified in the timetable
- Towel and toiletries
- Visa costs
- Medical and travel insurance
- Access to the university gyms. Short term membership can be purchased at a cost of £10 per week
Visit our scholarships for the 2024 international summer programmes page for more information.
- Up to 6 July - Full refund
- 7 July to 20 July - Half refund
- 21 July or after - No refund