English for Humanities International Summer Programme
Discover British literature and history and develop your English skills at the University of Leicester
Aims of the English for Humanities International Summer Programme
The main aims of this three week course are to help participants to improve their ability in both general and academic English, while also learning more about humanities subjects offered by the University of Leicester in enjoyable surroundings. It also aims to give participants an insight into life in the UK and its higher education system.
Why join the English for Humanities International Summer Programme?
- Improve your English skills in an academic and friendly environment
- Discover more about British culture, featuring films, literature, history and museums
- Find out what it is like to live and study at a renowned British university
- Make friends with other students from around the world
- Enhance your CV with an international study experience
- Experience living in a vibrant and student friendly city situated in the heart of England
- A comprehensive induction programme, including an introduction to the City of Leicester
- Daily English classes, focusing on both general and academic English, with particular emphasis on speaking and listening skills.
- A mixture of seminars and lectures on British culture, focusing on film studies, museum studies and English literature, with particular emphasis on Shakespeare and the discovery of the remains of King Richard III
- An individual research project and poster presentation
- Themed weekend excursions aimed at developing knowledge and skills gained in the classroom. More information is provided below
- Fun evening social activities with students from other international summer programmes.
- Some free time, making it possible to visit other cities or places of interest independently
- An end-of-course presentation ceremony and tutor feedback
What is the difference between Leicester Discovery International Summer Programme and English for Humanities International Summer Programme?
The English for Humanities International Summer Programme requires a higher English level and contains more academic content. It is most suitable for those who wish to develop an established interest in the humanities, in areas such as British literature and history, for instance.
The Leicester Discovery International Summer Programme aims to offer a general introduction to British life and culture. Although there are clear academic themes within course, there is more of focus on activities outside the classroom than with the English for Humanities International Summer Programme.
Please complete an enquiry form to receive further information.
- The summer school will take place between Monday 5th August and Friday 23rd August 2021
- Accommodation will be available from Sunday 4th August to Saturday 24th August 2021 inclusive.
- Applications close at the end of June 2021.
- Participants are expected to have a minimum English level of IELTS 4.5 or equivalent. Alternative English qualifications will be accepted or we may be able to test your English. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- Participants must be aged 18 or over.
- Accommodation will be in self-catered accommodation within walking distance of the campus and the city centre.
- Participants will be housed in a single study bedroom with ensuite bathroom and will share kitchen and bathroom facilities. All bills and Wi-Fi access are included.
- £1,950 per person
- £1,800 for participants from University of Leicester partner institutions
- £1,800 for participants referred by a previous International Summer Programme student.
- £1,800 for participants referred by a current University of Leicester student or member of staff.
Payment is required in full to accept a place on the course
- Tuition fees for all classes
- Self-catered ensuite accommodation
- All excursions and social events
- All study materials
- A certificate of attendance, transcript and written feedback
- International Summer Programme T-shirt and farewell gift
- Closing ceremony with prize giving
- Access to University of Leicester facilities
What's not included
- Airport transfers
- Meals and beverages, unless specified in the timetable
- Visa costs
- Medical and travel insurance
Visit our scholarships for the 2020 International Summer Programmes page for more information
- Full Refund: Within 14 days of acceptance of place
- Half Refund: On or before 23rd July 2019
- No Refund: After 23rd July 2019