English for Medics International Summer Programme -CANCELLED for summer 2022
The English for Medics International Summer Programme is ideal for medical students and health professionals who want to improve their English for use in a hospital or medical setting. The On Campus course has been running for over fifteen years and was initially devised with the support of a University of Leicester alumnus who is now a doctor in Japan.
Aims of the English for Medics International Summer Programme
The main aims of the course are to develop participants’ ability to communicate when using English for medical purposes and to provide them with opportunities to find out about the health system and medical practice in the UK. We focus on all four language skills – speaking, listening, reading and writing but the main emphasis will be on improving spoken English. An important aspect of the course is to learn to communicate in an appropriate way. When health professionals communicate with patients, they are expected to have a good ‘bedside manner’.
Why join the English for Medics International Summer Programme?
- Improve your English skills specifically for use in a medical environment.
- Learn about health issues in the UK and meet British medical professionals.
- Develop general English language skill for everyday communication.
- Maximum class size of 16 students.
- Enhance your research and study skills.
- Find out what it’s like to study at a British university.
- Meet University of Leicester students during social events.
- Meet other international medical students.
This intensive course primarily focuses on language used in medical contexts. Participants will be provided with opportunities to use new medical vocabulary and structures in different contexts such as with a patient or consulting with fellow health professionals. Areas covered during the course include:
- Taking a patient history
- Giving a physical examination
- Diagnostic and treatment procedures
- Development of research and presentation skills
- Cultural and social aspects of English usage
Some of the topics covered in the healthcare lectures and seminars have previously included:
- Perspectives from a general practitioner (GP)
- Perspectives from an emergency doctor
- Perspectives from a hospice
- Palliative care
- Introduction to the National Health Service (history, structure, challenges, future)
- Molecular and cell biology (developments in diabetes research)
- International medical education approaches
- Course dates: 8 August to 26 August 2022.
- Application deadline: 30 June 2022
- Payment deadline: 8 July 2022
- Registration deadline: 15 July 2022
- Participants are expected to have a minimum English level of IELTS 4.5 or equivalent. Alternative English qualifications will be accepted or we may be able to test your English. Please email us at email@example.com if you have any questions.
- Participants must be 18 or over.
- Participants must be students or professionals in a medical or healthcare field.
- £2,050 per student.
- £1,950 for students from a University of Leicester partner.
- Tuition fees for all classes
- Self-catered ensuite accommodation
- All excursions and social events
- All study materials
- A certificate of attendance, transcript and written feedback
- International Summer Programme T-shirt and farewell gift
- Closing ceremony with prize giving
- Access to University of Leicester facilities
What's not included
- Airport transfers
- Meals and beverages, unless specified in the timetable
- Visa costs
- Medical and travel insurance
Visit our scholarships for the 2022 International Summer Programmes page for more information.
- Up to 5 July - Full refund
- 6 to 25 July - Half refund
- 26 July or after - No refund