English for Medics International Summer Programme
The English for Medics International Summer Programme is ideal for medical students and health professionals who want to improve their English for use in a hospital or medical setting. The course has been running for over sixteen years and was initially devised with the support of a University of Leicester alumnus who is now a doctor in Japan.
The main aims of the course are to develop participants’ ability to communicate when using English for medical purposes and to provide them with opportunities to find out about the health system and medical practice in the UK. We focus on all four language skills – speaking, listening, reading and writing but the main emphasis will be on improving spoken English. An important aspect of the course is to learn to communicate in an appropriate way. When health professionals communicate with patients, they are expected to have a good ‘bedside manner’.
Why join the English for Medics International Summer Programme?
- Improve your English skills specifically for use in a medical environment
- Learn about health issues in the UK and meet British medical professionals in lectures and academic visits
- Develop general English language skills for everyday communication
- Maximum class size of 16 students
- Up to 21 hours of face-to-face taught classes per week on the University of Leicester campus. Classes generally take place between 9:30-11:00, 11:30-13:00 and 14:00-16:00
- Enhance your research and study skills
- Find out what it’s like to study at a British university
- Meet other international medical students
This intensive course primarily focuses on language used in medical contexts. Participants will be provided with opportunities to use new medical vocabulary and structures in different contexts such as with a patient or consulting with fellow health professionals.
The strands of the course are:
- Medical research project, culminating in the presentation of an academic poster at a research exhibition
- Patient consultation, culminating in an assessed consultation
- Guest lectures and seminars from healthcare professionals
- Classes exploring contemporary UK health issues
As an indication, some of the topics covered in the healthcare lectures and seminars have previously included:
- Perspectives from a general practitioner (GP)
- Perspectives from an emergency doctor
- Perspectives from a local medical student
- Palliative care
- Introduction to the National Health Service (history, structure, challenges, future)
- Molecular and cell biology (developments in diabetes research)
- International medical education approaches
Dates for Summer 2024
- Course dates: Monday 5 August - Friday 23 August 2024 (accommodation available from Sunday 4 August - Saturday 24 August 2024)
- Application deadline: Sunday 23 June 2024 (we may close applications earlier if the course fills up)
- Acceptance and payment deadline: Sunday 30 July 2024
- Registration deadline: Sunday 7 July 2024
Applications for the English for Medics International Summer Programme will open on Monday 8 January 2024.
- Participants are expected to have a minimum English level of IELTS 4.5 or equivalent. Please note that we also accept English tests or we may be able to test your English. Please email us at email@example.com if you have any questions
- Participants must be aged 18 or over
- Participants must be students or professionals in a medical or healthcare field
Expectations on the course
- Show willingness to engage with tutors and students during class
- Attend all sessions on the timetable
- Be open and kind to students from all backgrounds
- Accommodation will be in self-catered accommodation within walking distance of the campus and the city centre.
- Participants will be housed in a single study bedroom with ensuite bathroom and will share kitchen facilities. All bills and Wi-Fi access are included. Bedding and kitchen equipment are provided.
- £2,200 per student
- £2,100 for students from a University of Leicester partner
Payment is required in full to accept a place on the course.
- Medical and academic English classes
- Lectures on healthcare topics from specialists
- Two day trips to places of interest such as London and Oxford
- Three social events, including a welcome dinner and farewell party
- All study materials
- Self-catered student accommodation – single bedroom with ensuite bathroom and shared kitchen. Bedding and kitchen equipment provided
- Registration giving access to University of Leicester facilities, including the award winning David Wilson library
- A statement of completion and written feedback
- Closing ceremony with prize giving
What's not included
- Airport transfers
- Meals and beverages, unless specified in the timetable
- Towel and toiletries
- Visa costs
- Medical and travel insurance
- Access to the university gyms. Short term membership can be purchased at a cost of £10 per week
Visit our scholarships for the 2024 international summer programmes page for more information.
Cancellation/refund policy after acceptance of offer
- Up to 6 July 2023 - Full refund
- 7 July - 20 July 2023 - Half refund
- 21 July 2023 of after - No refund