Online English for Medics International Summer Programme
The Online English for Medics International Summer Programme is ideal for medical students and health professionals who want to improve their English for use in a hospital or medical setting. The On Campus course has been running for over fifteen years and was initially devised with the support of a University of Leicester alumnus who is now a doctor in Japan. The Online version has been developed following the principles and structure of the campus-based course.
Aims of the Online English for Medics International Summer Programme
The main aims of the course are to develop participants’ ability to communicate when using English for medical purposes and to provide them with opportunities to find out about the health system and medical practice in the UK. We focus on all four language skills – speaking, listening, reading and writing but the main emphasis will be on improving spoken English. An important aspect of the course is to learn to communicate in an appropriate way. When health professionals communicate with patients, they are expected to have a good ‘bedside manner’.
Why join the Online English for Medics International Summer Programme?
- Improve your English skills specifically for use in a medical environment.
- Learn about health issues in the UK and meet British medical professionals online.
- Develop general English language skill for everyday communication.
- Maximum class size of 16 students.
- Enhance your research and study skills.
- Find out what it’s like to study at a British university.
- Meet University of Leicester students during online social events.
- Meet other international medical students online.
This intensive course primarily focuses on language used in medical contexts. Participants will be provided with opportunities to use new medical vocabulary and structures in different contexts such as with a patient or consulting with fellow health professionals. Areas covered during the course include:
- Taking a patient history
- Giving a physical examination
- Diagnostic and treatment procedures
- Development of research and presentation skills
- Cultural and social aspects of English usage
Some of the topics covered in the healthcare lectures and seminars have previously included:
- Perspectives from a general practitioner (GP)
- Perspectives from an emergency doctor
- Perspectives from a hospice
- Palliative care
- Introduction to the National Health Service (history, structure, challenges, future)
- Molecular and cell biology (developments in diabetes research)
- International medical education approaches
- Course dates: 2nd August to 20th August 2021.
- Application deadline: 19th July 2021
- Payment deadline: 26th July 2021
- Registration deadline: 28th July 2021
- Participants are expected to have a minimum English level of IELTS 4.5 or equivalent. Alternative English qualifications will be accepted or we may be able to test your English. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- Participants must be 18 or over.
- Participants must be students or professionals in a medical or healthcare field.
£850 per student.
£750 for students from a University of Leicester partner.
- 15 hours per week of live video classes or events.
- An estimated of 10 hours independent guided study per week
- All study materials
- A certificate of attendance
- Tutor feedback
- Access to University of Leicester online facilities, including the award winning David Wilson library.
- Up to 5th July - Full refund
- 6th to 25th July - Half refund
- 26th July or after - No refund