Leicester Discovery International Summer Programme
The Leicester Discovery International Summer Programme is aimed at students of all disciplines who wish to experience a taste of studying at a British university whilst learning about life in the UK and improving their English and academic skills.
The main aims of the course are to introduce participants to study in a British university context while giving a chance to discover aspects of British life through a programme of activities. English classes aim to develop all four language skills – speaking, listening, reading and writing but the main emphasis will be on improving spoken English.
Why join the Leicester Discovery International Summer Programme?
- Find out what it is like to live and study at a renowned British university.
- Improve your English ability in an academic and friendly environment.
- Have fun while discovering more about life in Britain, including history, film, sports and food.
- Develop academic skills in preparation for future study abroad.
- Experience living in a vibrant and student friendly city situated in the heart of England.
- Make friends with other students from around the world.
- A course welcome and induction programme
- Daily English classes, focusing on both general and academic English, with particular emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- A varied activity programme giving an introduction to different aspects of British life, such as history, cuisine, sport, film, museums and shopping
- A basic research project leading to a poster presentation
- Day trips to places of interest
- Evening social activities with students from other international summer programmes
- A closing ceremony with prize giving and award of certificates
What is the difference between Leicester Discovery International Summer Programme and English for Humanities International Summer Programme?
The English for Humanities International Summer Programme requires a higher English level and contains more academic content. It is most suitable for those who wish to develop an established interest in the humanities, in areas such as British literature and history, for instance.
The Leicester Discovery International Summer Programme aims to offer a general introduction to British life and culture. Although there are clear academic themes within the course, there is more of focus on activities outside the classroom than with the English for Humanities International Summer Programme.
- Course dates: Monday 7 August to Friday 25 August 2023 (accommodation available from Sunday 6 August to Saturday 26 August 2023)
- Application deadline: Friday 30 June 2023
- Payment deadline: Friday 7 July 2023
- Registration deadline: Friday 14 July 2023
- Participants are expected to have a minimum English level of IELTS 4.0 or equivalent. Alternative English qualifications will be accepted or we may be able to test your English. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- Participants must be aged 18 or over.
- Accommodation will be in self-catered accommodation within walking distance of the campus and the city centre.
- Participants will be housed in a single study bedroom with ensuite bathroom and will share kitchen facilities. All bills and Wi-Fi access are included. Bedding and kitchen equipment are provided.
- £2,100 per student
- £2,000 for students from a University of Leicester partner
Payment is required in full to accept a place on the course
- Tuition fees for all classes
- Self-catered ensuite accommodation
- All excursions and social events
- All study materials
- A certificate of attendance, transcript and written feedback
- International Summer Programme T-shirt and farewell gift
- Closing ceremony with prize giving
- Access to University of Leicester facilities
What's not included
- Airport transfers
- Meals and beverages, unless specified in the timetable
- Visa costs
- Medical and travel insurance
Visit our scholarships for the 2023 International Summer Programmes page for more information
- Up to 4 July - Full refund
- 5 to 24 July - Half refund
- 25 July or after - No refund