Leicester Discovery International Summer Programme
The Leicester Discovery International Summer Programme is aimed at students of all disciplines who wish to experience a taste of studying at a British university whilst learning about life in the UK and improving their English and academic skills.
The main aims of the course are to introduce participants to study in a British university context while giving a chance to discover aspects of British life through a programme of activities. English classes aim to develop all four language skills – speaking, listening, reading and writing but the main emphasis will be on improving spoken English.
Why join the Leicester Discovery International Summer Programme?
- Find out what it is like to live and study at a renowned British university
- Improve your English ability in an academic and friendly environment
- Up to 15 hours of face-to-face taught classes per week on the University of Leicester campus. Classes generally take place between 9:30-11:00, 11:30-13:00. Afternoon activities take place between 14:00-16:00
- Have fun on trips and social activities discovering more about life in Britain, including history, film, sports and food
- Maximum group size of 16, allowing you to learn through interaction with the tutor and students
- Develop academic skills in preparation for future study abroad
- Experience living in a vibrant and student friendly city situated in the heart of England
- Make friends with other students from around the world
- A course welcome and induction programme
- Daily English classes, focusing on both general and academic English, with particular emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- A varied activity programme giving an introduction to different aspects of British life, such as history, cuisine, sport, film, museums and shopping
- A basic research project leading to a poster presentation
- Day trips to places of interest such as London and Oxford
- Evening social activities with students from other international summer programmes including a welcome meal and farewell party
- A statement of completion and written feedback
- A closing ceremony with prize giving
What is the difference between Leicester Discovery International Summer Programme and English for Humanities International Summer Programme?
The English for Humanities International Summer Programme requires a higher English level and contains more academic content. It is most suitable for those who wish to develop an established interest in the humanities, in areas such as British literature and history.
The Leicester Discovery International Summer Programme aims to offer a general introduction to British life and culture. Although there are clear academic themes within the course, there is more of focus on activities outside the classroom than with the English for Humanities International Summer Programme.
- Course dates: Monday 5 August to Friday 23 August 2024 (accommodation available from Sunday 4 August to Saturday 24 August 2024)
- Application deadline: Sunday 23 June 2024 (we may close applications earlier if the course fills up)
- Acceptance and payment deadline: Sunday 30 June 2024
- Registration deadline: Sunday 7 July 2024
Applications for the Leicester Discovery International Summer Programme will open on Monday 8 January 2024.
- Participants are expected to have a minimum English level of IELTS 4.0 or equivalent. Alternative English qualifications will be accepted or we may be able to test your English. Please email us at email@example.com if you have any questions.
- Participants must be aged 18 or over.
- If you would like to know about the launch of our summer 2024 course, please fill in this form.
Expectations on the course
- Show willingness to engage with tutors and students during class
- Attend all sessions on the timetable
- Be open and kind to students from other backgrounds
- Accommodation will be in self-catered accommodation within walking distance of the campus and the city centre
- Participants will be housed in a single study bedroom with ensuite bathroom and will share kitchen facilities. All bills and Wi-Fi access are included. Bedding and kitchen equipment are provided
- £2,100 for students from a University of Leicester partner
Payment is required in full to accept a place on the course.
- Tuition fees for all classes
- Self-catered ensuite accommodation
- All excursions and social events
- All study materials
- A statement of completion and written feedback
- International Summer Programme T-shirt
- Closing ceremony with prize giving
- Access to University of Leicester facilities including the award-winning David Wilson library
What's not included
- Airport transfers
- Meals and beverages, unless specified in the timetable
- Towel and toiletries
- Visa costs
- Medical and travel insurance
- Access to the university gyms. Short term membership can be purchased at a cost of £10 a week
Visit our scholarships for the 2024 International Summer Programmes page for more information.
- Up to 6 July 2024 - Full refund
- 7 July to 20 July 2024 - Half refund
- 21 July 2024 or after - No refund