Friends of the Garden
Who we are
Founded in 1980, the principal aims of the association are to promote and support the development of the Garden's plant collections and amenities.
Fund-raising activities centre chiefly on an annual Family Day held at the Botanic Garden, but other events are organised from time to time. As a result a whole range of projects has been funded, including:
- Fibonacci pavements
- Toilet facilities with disabled access
- Interpretation panels for visitors
- A summerhouse
- Meteorological equipment
- New paths
- Restoration of the Alpine House
We are members of the nation-wide Friends of Botanic Gardens Forum.
How to join
Anyone over the age of 18 may become a member. To join, please email us for an application form. Subscriptions are normally payable on 1 January each year, but new members may join at any time. For further membership information please see the application form.
Membership application forms can also be picked up near the entrance gates of the Botanic Garden.
The current subscription rates are as follows:
If you wish to set up a standing order to pay your subscription, please first email us your completed application form. Please do not set up your payment until you receive a reply with your unique reference number.
There are many benefits of becoming a Friend of the Garden. These include:
- Special access to the Garden where members may visit the garden at times when it is closed to the public
- Invitations to attend seasonal programmes of lectures as well as day visits to famous and less well known gardens and nurseries. There are also opportunities from time to time to go on short-break tours to more distant gardens
- Quarterly newsletters which contain notices of meetings, news items and articles on plants or features of current interest in the Garden
- The association provides a forum for the free exchange of plants among members
- Opportunities to train as a guide to take groups around the Garden and Arboretum
- Help at the Botanic Garden Family Day and other events
- Join our volunteer programme in the Garden helping with seasonal tasks.
Data protection statement
If you are a member of the Friends of the University of Leicester Botanic Garden, the information you have supplied is used to administer your membership and tell you about the work of the Friends including mailing of the newsletter. If you no longer wish to receive information from the Friends, or would like a copy of the information held, please email us or write to Data Controller, Friends of the Botanic Garden, University of Leicester, University Road, Leicester LE1 7RH.