People, EDI and Wellbeing Committee
Membership and terms of reference 2023-24
Scope and purpose
The People, EDI and Wellbeing Committee is the prime mechanism through which the Council seeks oversight and assurance that the University has appropriate and effective processes and plans in place to deliver the people, equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) and wellbeing objectives of the University; as outlined in the University Strategy and its Guiding Principles.
Its principal aims are:
- To advise Council on strategic decisions relating to the workforce and make recommendations to Council on key strategic initiatives, as appropriate.
- To monitor progress regarding the delivery of the relevant elements of the University’s Strategy (including the Our Citizens strategic theme).
- To provide assurance to Council on key matters in relation to EDI and wellbeing.
Terms of reference
- To consider and report to Council on the University’s implementation of the Our Citizens theme of the University Strategy, and associated Guiding Principles, specifically: Equity and Diversity and Health and Wellbeing.
- To provide assurance on the progress of the University’s People Plan and Student Wellbeing Plan as Enabling Plans for the University Strategy and the associated key performance indicators.
- To provide assurance to Council on EDI activity in particular relating to the University’s statutory and regulatory requirements.
- To consider the Wellbeing activity which takes place across the University, including the implementation of the Staff Health and Wellbeing Strategy.
- To provide oversight of the University’s Access and Participation Plan including targets and benchmarks, reporting to and advising Council on any areas of concern.
- To consider the wellbeing and EDI priorities of the Students’ Union.
- To provide oversight of updates of HR policies, procedures and guidance documents and/or development work.
- To consider relevant risks on the Strategic University Risk Register, together with risk mitigation plans and sources of control.
- To consider the equality and inclusivity impact of decisions made by the Committee, and take appropriate action where needed, in accordance with the University’s responsibilities under the Equality Act 2010.
Three lay members of Council – Rishi Madlani (Chair), Martin Cullen, Lauren Bartlett
Chair of EDI Committee – Henrietta O’Connor
A nominated member of Senate – Daniel Ladley
Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Professional Services) – Kerry Law
Dean of Personal Tutoring – Richard Craggs
Students’ Union Liberation Officer – Jade Thomas
Director of Student Services and Belonging – Angela Truby
Head of Technical Services Development and Strategy – Gemma Black
Total membership = 10
Normally in attendance at meetings
Registrar and Secretary – Geoff Green
Director of Human Resources – Emma Stevens
Associate Director of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion – Angie Pears
Assistant Director of Staff Health & Wellbeing and Organisational Development – Nic Junkin
Student EDI lead – Hannah Grosvenor
In attendance as required
PVC Education – Liz Jones
PVC Research and Enterprise – Phil Baker
Director of Health and Safety – Neale Goff
Student EDI lead – Hannah Grosvenor
Subcommittees reporting or aligning to People, EDI and Wellbeing Committee
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee (reporting)
Student Wellbeing and Inclusivity Sub-Committee (reporting)
Our Citizens Board (receiving reports)
Frequency of meetings
The Committee will normally meet three times in each academic year.
4 members including one lay member of Council.