People, EDI and Wellbeing Committee
Terms of Reference 2021-22
The People, EDI and Wellbeing Committee is the prime mechanism through which the Council seeks oversight and assurance that the University has appropriate and effective processes and people in place to deliver the people, equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) and wellbeing objectives and KPIs, as set out in its Strategic Plan and its Guiding Principles.
To advise Council on strategic decisions relating to the workforce and make recommendations to Council on key strategic initiatives, as appropriate.
- To provide assurance to Council on EDI (including the Access and Participation Plan).
- To provide assurance to Council on matters relating to staff and student wellbeing, including the consideration of key strategic initiatives.
- To monitor progress regarding the delivery of the relevant elements of the University’s Strategy (including the Our Citizens strategic theme).
Assurance Role (Committee provides reports and/or alerts to Council)
- Provide assurance to Council through monitoring the University’s implementation of the People Strategy and Citizen’s theme, and associated Guiding Principles, specifically: Equality and Diversity and Health and Wellbeing.
- Provide assurance to Council regarding the University’s performance against key performance indicators regarding the workforce, EDI and the Access and Participation Plan.
- Monitor and review equality, diversity and inclusion performance data and monitor, via an annual report to Council, the University’s compliance with statutory equality requirements.
Consideration Role (Committee approves and recommends to Council)
- Endorse the University’s People Strategy and make recommendations to the Council as required.
- Endorse the University’s Access and Participation Plan and make recommendations to the Council as required.
Advisory Role (Committee receives and provides advice to Council)
- Review relevant risks on the University Risk Register, together with risk mitigation plans and sources of control.
- To keep under review the University’s EDI and Staff Health and Wellbeing Strategy, Student Wellbeing Strategy and arrangements for and the outcomes of the monitoring.
Council at least 3 times per year.
Subcommittees reporting or aligning to People, EDI and Wellbeing Committee
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee (reporting)
- Student Wellbeing Committee (reporting)
- Staff Health and Wellbeing Steering Group (aligning)
- APP Strategy Panel (aligning)
- Our Citizens Board (aligning)
- Three lay members of Council (Vijay Sharma (Chair), Craig Brown, one member TBC)
- President and Vice-Chancellor (Nishan Canagarajah)
- Chair of EDI Sub-Committee (Henrietta O’Connor)
- A nominated member of Senate (Daniel Ladley)
- Registrar and Secretary (Geoff Green)
- Chief Operating Officer (Martyn Riddleston)
- Chief Marketing and Engagement Officer (Kerry Law)
- Dean of Personal Tutoring (Richard Craggs)
- President of the Students’ Union or nominee (Nic Farmer/Karli Wagener)
Normally in attendance at meetings
- Director of Human Resources (Emma Stevens)
- Associate Director of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (Angie Pears)
- Assistant Director of Staff Health and Wellbeing and Organisational Development (Nic Junkin)
In attendance as required
- PVC Education (Liz Jones)
- PVC Research and Enterprise (Phil Baker)
- Director of Health and Safety (Neale Goff)
- Student EDI lead (Hannah Grosvenor)
Frequency of Meetings
The Committee will normally meet three times in each academic year.
4 members including one lay member of Council.