Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
Terms of Reference 2020-21
On behalf of Council, to maintain oversight of and provide advice on matters relating to equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Support the Council in executing the University Strategic Plan by taking account of equality, diversity and inclusion in all its activity.
- Ensuring that the University has appropriate and stretching equality objectives in place that are relevant to both students and staff.
- Provide leadership on the University Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy and to monitor and review performance by implementing institutional action plans to ensure that policies are translated into clear programmes of action.
- Support Equality Action Groups to deliver activity on specific aspects of equality, diversity and inclusion commissioning and receiving reports on activity.
- Consider and record the potential equality, diversity and inclusion impacts on decisions made by the Committee and the University (in accordance with the ‘due regard’ provisions of the Equality Act 2010).
- Contribute to the development of equality, diversity and inclusion policies and procedures and ensure that they are effectively disseminated and promoted.
- Ensure appropriate consultation and communication with all relevant groups in the University on issues of equality, diversity and inclusion.
Committee members play a vital role in the oversight of the University’s EDI related activities. Members are responsible for:
- Sharing their views and expertise with the Committee to ensure informed recommendations are made.
- Undertaking relevant actions.
- Communicating and embedding equality, diversity and inclusion practices in their Colleges/areas.
- Contributing to relevant sub groups.
- Maintaining up to date knowledge of equality, diversity and inclusion issues.
- Shaping organisational and cultural change.
- Understanding, and giving consideration to, the intersectional nature of inequities and disadvantage.
Council, as appropriate.
Constitution and Membership
The Committee is chaired by the President and Vice Chancellor and comprises:
a) President and Vice-Chancellor, Chair (Nishan Canagarajah)
b) Deputy Chair (Henrietta O’Connor)
c) A lay member of Council, nominated by Council (Vijay Sharma)
d) Registrar and Secretary (Geoff Green)
e) Pro Vice-Chancellor – Education (Graham Wynn)
f) Students’ Union Representative (Tony Magaia)
g) All four Equality Action Group Leads:
- Neil Chakraborti, Race Equality Action Group Chair
- Martyn Mahaut-Smith, Disability Action Group Chair
- Pascale Lorber, Gender Equality Action Group Chair
- Manish Maisuria, LGBT Action Group Chair
h) Staff Fora Representative (rotated by Co-Chairs)
i) All four College and Corporate Services Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Leads
- Andrew Ellis, College of Science and Engineering
- Kaitlynn Mendes and Eugenia Caracciolo Di Torella, College of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities
- Thompson Robinson, College of Life Sciences
- Kate Walewska, Corporate Services
j) One member from each of the three recognised trade unions, to be nominated by the relevant union committee:
- Hamzah Alsabur, UNISON Representative
- Alex Patel and Rashida Vora, UCU Representative
- Sulina Hendy, UNITE Representative
Duration of Appointment
a), b), c), d), e), h) and i) are ex-officio. Members appointed under f), g) and j) shall normally serve for up to three years and shall be retired for at least one year before being eligible for re-appointment.
a) The Head of EDI (Angie Pears)
b) Interim Director of Human Resources or their nominated representatives (Emma Stevens)
c) The Academic Registrar or their nominated representatives (Becky Johnson)
d) c) Head of Student Support Services or their nominated representatives (Sarah Cavendish)
e) The Staff Health and Wellbeing Lead (Nicola Junkin)
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Team, Human Resources
Frequency of Meetings
The Committee will normally meet three times in each academic year.
The quorum for the core Committee is four members.