Spring seminar series
Each spring we host a series of seminars on topics spanning the breadth of Victorian studies. Find out about our 2022 series on this page, or learn more about our past spring seminar series.
Seminars take place at 5.15pm on Wednesdays - all are welcome. In 2022, we have a mix of online and in-person events. You can register for online events by using the EventBrite booking link.
2022 Spring Seminar Series: Global Victorians
Healthy Furniture: Interior Design and Hygiene in Victorian Britain
- 9 February
- Speaker: Richard W. Hayes
The Inspirations of Casta - Visual Representations through Historical Art
- 9 March
- Speaker: Tara Munroe
- In-person: Venue tbc
- Book your free ticket
- 16 March
- Speakers: Hannah Burden and Azza Hussen (University of Leicester)
- Online: This is an internal event for VSC PhD students. Please contact Julian North (email@example.com) for details
'A Monkey into a Man': T. H. Huxley, Benjamin Waterhouse Hawkins, and the Making of an Evolutionary Icon
- 30 March
- Speaker: Professor Gowan Dawson (University of Leicester)
- Please note that this event will now take place online. Please contact Julian North (firstname.lastname@example.org) for a joining link.
A Global History of Victorian Art
- 4 May
- Speaker: Dr Kate Nichols (University of Birmingham)
- In-person: room tbc
Student Research Papers
- 11 May
- Speakers: Azza Hussen, 'Haunting Images: Reading Nell's Nightmare(s) in The Old Curiosity Shop' and Wenwei Wu, 'Re-imagining the Victorian Orient: Opium and Oriental Contagion' (University of Leicester)
- In-person: room tbc. This is an internal event for VSC PhD students. Please contact Julian North (email@example.com) for details.
Statues and Figurines: Modelling the Victorians
- 18 May
- Speaker: Dr Claire Jones (University of Birmingham)
- In-person: room tbc.