The University of Leicester and Sport and Active Life 2022-23 scholarship awards allow talented and performance focused student athletes and aspiring leadership students to pursue the highest levels in their sport, alongside their academic studies, whilst benefitting from support services and a targeted financial contribution, aimed at assisting each individual to reach their potential.
There are a two scholarship award opportunities open to student athletes. Interested student athletes must demonstrate a commitment to continued growth, development and personal excellence, whilst meeting the academic eligibility criteria to be considered for both advertised awards.
International Representative Student-Athlete Award
The International Student-Athlete representative award was introduced to offer high performance athletes at undergraduate or postgraduate level the opportunity to benefit from a level of support, aimed at assisting each individual to reach their potential.
We are looking to receive applications from student athletes who are currently part of their respective sports, National Governing Bodies/Federation pathway programmes, or have in the past 18 months represented their respective National Governing Bodies/Federations at International sporting competitions.
If your application is successful, you will be eligible to receive the following.
- University of Leicester annual sports facility gold membership and Team Leicester club membership
- Limited Physiotherapy support package is offered to each awardee (Delivered at Sports Medicine Clinic, Leicester)
- Individualised physical conditioning programme
- Athlete life skills coaching programme
- Provision of kit
- Quality coaching within the Team Leicester environment
- Financial contribution on agreed items up to £2,000 (e.g. travel expenses, equipment, specialist coaching, nutritional advice)
* If an applicant is already receiving an APA award as part of their National Governing Body programme status, Sport and Active Life reserve the right to not award a financial contribution and or an International Representative Student-Athlete Award for 2022/23.
Aspiring Leadership Award
The Aspiring Leadership Award has been established to provide students at undergraduate or postgraduate level the opportunity to benefit from agreed individualised support, aimed at assisting each individual along their continuous learning journey.
We are looking to receive applications from students who aspire to achieve the highest levels in sport, personally and professionally through National Governing Body qualification pathways.
- (i) an applicant is aspiring to apply to attend a coaching qualification with their respective NGB
(ii) an applicant wishes to further develop their knowledge and skills by attending further continued professional development or qualifications. E.g.
safeguarding course or Emergency First Aid course.
If your application is successful, you will be eligible to receive the following:
- Financial contribution towards identified and agreed National Governing Body continuous learning and qualification pathways.
- Performance lifestyle support.
Eligibility criteria (academic)
For both awards you must be currently enrolled on an undergraduate or postgraduate degree course at the University of Leicester, or in the process of applying to become a University of Leicester student for the 2022/23 academic year.
Advice for applicants
When applying for one of our two awards, please be aware of the following:
- Each academic year the number of received applications exceeds the available number of scholarship awards.
- Meeting both the eligibility (academic) and individual award performance level criteria does not guarantee an applicant will receive an award. Please take the time to carefully read all of the published information.
- For both awards, successful applicant’s academic eligibility for 2022-23 will be checked by the University of Leicester academic student records department prior to any final award confirmation.
- Both awards are only valid for one academic year. All applicants must reapply each academic year.
- If you are unsuccessful in your application the first time around you can apply again in your succeeding academic years.
- If your application is successful, awardees will be expected to provide help in promoting the sporting profile of the University in any way seen fit by the University.