Career Development Service
Right from your first year, our Career Development Service will work with you to help you find the right direction and gain the skills you need, so that when you eventually don that cap and gown you're ready for what comes next.
The Career Development Service works closely with your School/Department to provide a targeted service within each course. This ensures that you get the right advice and support for your own interests and goals - it's not 'one size fits all'. You will have access to a wide range of workshops and one-to-one appointments with our expert Advisers.
The Service works with all our students, whether you're straight out of college or an older student looking to change or progress your career.
Our appointments range from 20 to 50 minutes and cover a wide range of topics including:
- Application coaching
- Career coaching
- Mock interviews/assessments
- PhD careers guidance
- Business coaching
Applications and CVs
Applying for a graduate job or further study can be a daunting process and writing an effective application can take time. We’ll support you in creating each element of your application.
- View our handy guide on how to write the best CV and view examples.
- Learn how to write the perfect cover letter.
- Explore how to make your application form stand out from the crowd.
- Find out how to write a Personal statement that will make you stand out from the crowd.
- Learn more about Linkedin and how you can write a great profile.
Interviews and assessments
So you’ve aced your job application and you’re through to the next stage of the recruitment process. Whether you’re now faced with psychometric tests, an assessment centre, or an interview we have put together some useful resources to help you stand out and succeed.
- See the different types of interview there are and how you can best prepare.
- Learn what happens at an assessment centre and explore the different types of assessments involved.
- Find out more about psychometric testing and what's involved.
- Discover what the STARS technique is and how you can use it to formulate effective answers.
Career support for life
When you graduate, we don’t wave bye-bye and forget about you. After University, the Career Development Service will continue to support you throughout your career, with lifetime access to our online careers platform, MyCareers, giving you 24-hour access to hundreds of internships and graduate vacancies, career appointments and event bookings.