The Sports Scholarship is a programme that offers students at the University additional support so that they may continue their sporting lives alongside their academic studies while at Leicester. The programme consists of a number of elements across different areas that look to help a student reach their potential.
- Annual sports facility gold membership (value £250)
- Sports massage, physiotherapy, osteopathy (value up to £250)
- Individualised physical conditioning programme
- Athlete Education Programme, including UKAD Advice
- Athlete life skills coaching programme
- Provision of scholar’s kit
- Quality coaching within the Team Leicester environment
- Up to £25 on Upay Chilli card to use on campus
- Financial contribution on agreed items (e.g. travel expenses, equipment, specialist coaching, nutritional advice):
- Up to £5,000 for exceptional 'Tier 1' scholars
- Up to £500 for 'Tier 2' scholars
- Have applied for any full-time undergraduate/postgraduate course at the University of Leicester for the 2019/20 academic year and selected us as your firm choice, or be a current registered student for the 2019/20 academic year
- Be able to demonstrate your sporting achievements
- Provide a valid reference from a suitable adult e.g. coach or teacher at your school or college
- Be able to demonstrate a commitment to striving for personal excellence
- Meet the minimum grade requirements for your offer from the University
The Sports Scholarships are divided into three ‘tiers’. The Sports Scholarship panel consider your performance level or equivalent within the last twelve- eighteen months as part of the overall scholarship application selection process.
- Tier 1 scholars who are selected to represent their respective NGBs at International competitions (Senior NGB International selection will take precedence)
- Tier 2 scholars: Junior International and National representation
- Tier 3 scholars: Regional representation
Provided you fulfil all the above requirements, we will accept applications from a wide variety of sports.
Whilst we do have target sports as a University, we do endeavour to support all BUCS sports where possible.
How to apply
Applications will open on 1 May 2019. Please do not submit the form before this date.
The deadline for applications is 1 September 2019.
Your application must be accompanied by a personal statement and sporting reference. Please send your completed application form, along with your personal statement and reference to Steve Bayley on firstname.lastname@example.org.
All Sports Scholars must abide by our Terms and Conditions which are included in the application form.