The Sports Scholarship is a programme that offers students at the University additional support so that they may continue their sporting lives alongside their academic studies while at Leicester. The programme consists of a number of elements across different areas that look to help a student reach their potential.
- University of Leicester annual sports facility gold membership
- Sports massage, physiotherapy, osteopathy (Delivered at Sports Medicine Clinic, Leicester)
- Individualised physical conditioning programme
- Athlete Education Programme, including UKAD Advice
- Athlete life skills coaching programme
- Provision of scholar’s kit
- Quality coaching within the Team Leicester environment
- Up to £25 on Upay Chilli card to use on campus
- Financial contribution on agreed items (e.g. travel expenses, equipment, specialist coaching, nutritional advice):
- Up to £5,000 for exceptional 'Tier 1' scholars
- Up to £500 for 'Tier 2' scholars
- Have applied for any full-time course at the University of Leicester for the 2020/21 academic year and selected us as your firm choice, or be a current registered student for the 2020/21 academic year
- Be able to demonstrate your sporting achievements
- Provide a valid reference from a suitable adult e.g. coach or teacher at your school or college
- Be able to demonstrate a commitment to striving for personal excellence
- Meet the minimum grade requirements for your offer from the University
The Sports Scholarships are divided into three ‘tiers’. The Sports Scholarship panel will consider your performance level or equivalent within the last 12 months and your sporting objectives and future aspirations as part of the overall scholarship application selection process.
- Tier 1 scholars who are selected to represent their respective NGBs at International competitions (Senior NGB International selection will take precedence)
- Tier 2 scholars: Junior International and National representation
- Tier 3 scholars: Regional representation
Provided you fulfil all the above requirements, we will accept applications from a wide variety of sports.
Whilst we do have target sports as a University, we do endeavour to support all BUCS sports where possible.
How to apply
We are now in a position to receive Sports Scholarship applications for 2020/21 from all students who meet the eligibility criteria.
Applications will open on Tuesday 9 June and close at 17:00 on Wednesday 9 September 2020.
To apply for a Sport Scholarship, please fully complete and electronically return the application form (including coaches reference) to Steve Bayley.
If you have any questions please contact, Stephen Bayley email@example.com.
Please note, meeting the tier criteria does not guarantee you will receive a scholarship. See our Scholarship Terms and Conditions located within the application form for more information.