Supporting you

The University of Leicester aims to provide a wide range of support for our students. This support ranges from academic help to mental and physical wellbeing should you need it.

desks in the Student Services CentreStudent Support Services

The University of Leicester promotes healthy living for students and works collaboratively with the local health services and to provide support for physical and psychological aspect of health and wellbeing.

The AccessAbility Centre offers support and practical help for students with dyslexia and other specific learning difficulties such as physical or mental health, or mobility difficulties. The centre is based in the David Wilson Library and can be used as a quiet study space or place to rest as well as somewhere to get advice or organise specialised study equipment and alternative exam arrangements.

The Student Counselling Service offers free, confidential, face to face counselling services for all current students. They have a range of workshops and counselling groups as well as providing general advice about mental wellbeing and help in accessing other sources of support.

The Student Welfare Service provides help with more practical matters such as childcare, finances and accommodation. They also have a legal advice clinic open to all students on a regular basis.

The Career Development Service work with current students and graduates to help them develop the skills required for their next steps. If you have been in work and have some experience of professional life, the Career Development Service will help you channel your new experiences into your refreshed CV. They also offer workshops on interview skills and other aspects of developing your employability to compliment whatever experience you already have.

These services can all be access via a single on-campus location, the Student Services Centre.

sofas in the Square part of the Students' Union buildingStudents’ Union

The Students’ Union is a central building on the main campus and provides a range of student support, complementing the support provided by the University itself. Union services include SULETS for finding reliable private student accommodation, and ED (The Education Unit) which provides help with various aspects of studying such as mitigating circumstances and issues with your course that the University might not directly be able to help with.  

Personal Tutors

The University provides each student with a personal tutor who is based in their department. This tutor is there to support you with academic and pastoral advice. They are usually the first port of call when you need support and can direct you to the right service for you. Regular meetings with your personal tutor are recommended.