Loan types

Federal Direct Loans

The only program that a foreign school may participate in is the Title IV Direct Loan programme. This means that PELL and TEACH loans cannot be taken if you are studying with the University of Leicester. There are three types of Federal Loans available:

  • Direct Subsidised loans
  • Direct Unsubsidised loans
  • Direct PLUS loans (Graduate and Parent PLUS)

Further information on the different types of Title IV Direct Loans can be found on the StudentAid website. It also has some information on the following:

  • Borrowing limits
  • Repayment options
  • Interest rates

Private loans from Sallie Mae

Private loans are provided by individual lenders and not the US Government, a private loan application will need to be made directly to the lender. The application needs to be made for each academic year like Title IV Direct Loans. The StudentAid website has some information on the differences between Federal and private loans. Please note the University of Leicester advises students that we are only aware of Sallie Mae Student Loans in terms of private lenders that are willing to work with us. This does not mean Sallie Mae are a preferred lender, we are willing to work with any private lender students decide to use. 

Please email USloans@le.ac.uk if you have any questions.

Back to top