To be eligible to receive US Direct Loans you must:
- Be a US Citizen or an eligible non-citizen
- Have a valid US Social Security Number
- Be registered on a full-time or part-time (at least half-time) course with us
- Be living in the UK while studying
- Have not borrowed over your federal loan limits or defaulted on repaying previous loans
- ]If you are a male under the age of 26, have signed up for selective service or have been officially exempted from selective service
- Not have any outstanding convictions for drug-related offences
- If you are a current student at the University of Leicester, have been assessed to have made satisfactory academic progress to continue your studies with us
- Not be studying a course that involves any study in the US or at another institution that is not eligible to process Federal Student Aid
The University will use the information you have provided on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to assess your eligibility for US Direct Loans.
Unfortunately the University is not authorised to certify US Direct Loans to students who are studying:
- A course in the School of Medicine (Leicester Medical School)
- A Certificate or Diploma course
- A Distance Learning course
- Part-time and continue to live in the US or outside the UK during their studies
If you are ineligible for US Direct Loans you can apply for private educational loans to cover some of your costs.
You can apply for a private loan up to the value of your Cost of Attendance if you are eligible but do not wish to apply for US Direct Loans.