Work experience in the School
Would you like to have a week of work experience in the School of Physics and Astronomy here at the University of Leicester?
Local students from Years 10, 11 and 12 can apply for the relevant week:
- Year 10/11 students: Monday 26 June – Friday 30 June
- Year 12 students: Monday 3 July – Friday 7 July
Year 12 students
Closing date for applications
- 28 February 2023
The work experience schedule for 2023 is still being arranged but is likely to include helping with projects like these:
- Understanding Europa: What instruments can we use to better characterise this mysterious icy moon orbiting Jupiter?
- Earth observation techniques: What can we learn by looking down on the Earth from space?
- Giant planet auroras: Using data from the Cassini spacecraft and the Hubble Space Telescope to explore how the magnetic fields of the giant planets interact with the Sun
- Mission panels: A chance to debate which missions we should fund in the future!
- Mercury’s surface: We’re in the planning phase of a Mercury lander, but where should we land?
- Space weather’s effects on the Earth: How can the Sun cause electricity grids to fail, GPS systems to malfunction, planes to be re-routed and even potentially disrupt animal migration?
- The hunt for exoplanets: What can we find out about these planets, and how can we characterise them?
- Black holes and gravitational waves: The latest developments in the hunt for gravitational waves, and what we have planned for the future
You will have an opportunity to operate our Solar telescope during lunchtime observation sessions (subject to clear skies!). Plus we’ll give you plenty of helpful hints for applying to University, and you’ll have lots of time to chat with our current students about studying physics and astronomy at Leicester.
You will be responsible for your own travel arrangements and lunch (there are plenty of places to eat on campus).
Applications will close on 28 February 2023.
Successful applicants will hear back from us via email by the 6 March 2023.