We offer Molecular and Cell Biology supervision for the degree of:
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) - full-time and part-time
We provide excellent facilities for post-graduate research leading to a PhD. Details of the broad range of the research within the Department can be accessed from the Research page. Informal enquiries are welcome at any time - please contact the individual supervisor.
All applicants will be required to go through an interview process. Applicants are advised, that prior to the interview, they should make themselves familiar with the research undertaken by the prospective supervisor and should also understand the project that is on offer.
The Department receives studentships from Research Councils and other funding bodies and these will be advertised when available (See also FindaPhD) These studentships are available to UK students and EU students who have been resident in the UK for more than 3 years.
Students with their own source of funding may apply to study for a PhD in the Department of Molecular and Cell Biology in the following areas:
- Cancer and cell biology
- Cell physiology and pharmacology
- Cell signalling and G Protein-coupled receptor molecular pharmacology
- Mechanisms and principles of gene expression
- Molecular physiology of the cardiovascular system
- Single molecular approaches to understanding biological systems
- Structure, dynamics and assembly of macromolecular complexes
- Structure-based drug discovery and design
- Structure-function relationships in ion channels and receptors
Applications for some awards are restricted to UK/EU nationals or permanent UK residents only: see further details below.
Fees and funding
Learn about studentships and postgraduate funding available in the College of Life Sciences.