The Midlands Regional Cryo-EM Facility offers state of the art equipment for researchers to conduct cryo-electron microscopy either by hire of instrument or a data collection service:
- Hire of equipment and training for research purposes: Researchers can submit a project proposal for the Hire of the Titan Krios. Once approved and a date of commencement is agreed, the researcher can visit the facility to hire the equipment. The agreement covers the hire of the microscope, not the use of the facility. Due to the complexity of the microscope’s operation and for health and safety reasons, training and supervision will be provided as part of the hire which is considered ancillary to the hire of the instrument.
- Data collection service: Researchers can submit a project proposal for use of the Titan Krios. Once approved and a date for data collection is agreed, the researcher can ship frozen-hydrated specimens to the facility. Based on the agreed data collection strategy between the facility and the user, the facility staff will setup data collection accordingly. The user is not required to be present but is welcome to do so. For tomography we recommend the researcher be present during the data collection setup to make sure the best areas are selected. The data and specimens will be shipped back to the user once data collection is completed.
Please complete and submit the Project Application Form (Word, 25kb) to CryoEM@leicester.ac.uk. By doing so, you confirm your intention to publish your research results and undertake to do so in peer reviewed journals.
- UK Academia - £1,700 per 24 hour session
- International Academia - £1,800 per 24 hour session
Industry AccessPlease contact Charlotte Walden for access and pricing arrangements.
Closeup of the density of a 1.7Å map of apoferritin using the K3 from approximately 2000 micrographs and 300K particles.
Typical experiment schedule for Single Particle or Tomography
- 9:00-9:15: Arrive at Henry Wellcome building and sign-in at reception
- 9:15-10:30: Load grids into cartridges and load up to 8 grids into the Krios
- 10:30-14:00: Locate suitable grids for data collection
- 14:00-16:30: Setup EPU, Batch Tomo or Serial EM on suitable locations
- 16:30-17:00: Monitor Data collection and adjust accordingly
- Monitor data collection and adjust accordingly (e.g. center zero loss peak or change phase plate slot)
- Setup additional squares or areas for data collection if needed