Terms and conditions
Terms and Conditions for language learning courses – Academic year August 2023 to July 2024
You should print a copy of these Terms and Conditions or save them to your device for future reference.
1. Before enrolling on a language course consider your personal commitments and circumstances, including your workload and study commitments, to make sure that you are able to complete the full course.
2. If you are unsure about a language or level you are welcome to attend a ‘drop-in sessions’ or request an online ‘placement sessions’ before courses start (timetable available on: www.le.ac.uk/languages-at-leicester), or contact us for further details by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Enrolments are processed on a 'first-come, first-served' basis. Courses have limited places to allow for a manageable and positive learning experience. Each course’s page indicates the minimum and maximum number of students. Minimum numbers are required to ensure the financial sustainably of courses. Enrolments are acknowledged and processed upon receipt of full payment. Registrations without payment will not be processed. Enrolments are submitted via the enol now button on the course webpage.
4. Fees are payable in advance. The University of Leicester (“University”) regrets that it cannot offer drop-in or pay-as-you-go courses, nor do we offer refunds for any classes that a participant is unable to attend.
5. Students commit themselves to the full length of the course, whether it is 10 weeks, 20 weeks or longer. There is the option to pay for full courses of 20 weeks, or longer, in one payment or two termly instalments. BSL Levels 2 and 3 courses can be paid in one or 3 instalments. Learners who fail to pay subsequent instalments can be liable for the full fee as agreed and legal proceedings may be undertaken in order to recover the debt.
6. Where possible our courses are taught by the same tutor, on the same day/time and using the same methodology to deliver lessons (i.e.: online or face-to-face) throughout the course. However, the University reserves the right to change a tutor, day/time and/or delivery method at its sole discretion.
7. Courses that are set to be delivered online will continue with this delivery method until completion. Courses that are set to be delivered face-to-face can be moved online if it is required by the University or the Government. Students who register to take a face-to-face course, accept that they may have to move to online learning if the Covid situation, or any other type of emergency situation, requires it. A change in the delivery method will not be considered as an ‘exceptional circumstances’ as per the Refund Policy and the Exceptional circumstances for withdrawal, refund and deferments set out at Clauses 13 and 15 respectively.
8. The University will not accept responsibility for unforeseen changes in a learner's circumstances that may prevent participation. The University will consider exceptional circumstances as per the Refund Policy and the Exceptional circumstances for withdrawal, refund and deferments set out at Clauses 13 and 15 respectively.
9. A minimum number of students, depending on the course, is required in order for a course to run. Should any course not recruit sufficiently a full refund will be provided. The decision to cancel a course due to lack of enrolments can be taken up to 24 hrs before the starting date.
10. Should classes fall on Bank Holidays, these will be rescheduled - it is possible that the course shall be extended to recoup the Bank Holidays.
11. Learners must be over 18 years old at the start of the course. Learners over 16 years old can enrol on language courses subject to submitting, at the enrolment stage, a written agreement from their parents, carer or legal guardian. The University reserves the right to accept Learners under 18 years old.
12. Enrolling on a Language course does not grant the participant University of Leicester student-status; participants are considered visitors to the University. Student ID cards are not issued and participants are not granted access to University facilities or library services.
13. Refund Policy
13.1 Cancellation - Should the participant wish to cancel their enrolment on the course, they may do so within 14 days of purchasing a course online in accordance with the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013.
13.2 Such cancellation should be notified to the Languages at Leicester via online form.
14. Withdrawals and refunds
14.1 The University will refund a participant's fees in full provided a withdrawal request is submitted to L@L within 14 working days of purchasing a course, and that the service period hasn’t yet started.
14.2 In accordance with the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and any amendment thereto (for further information please consult (https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/changed-your-mind/cancelling-a-service-youve-arranged/), an administrative and/or teaching fee could be applied if a withdrawal request is received after 14 days of purchasing a course online, and/or the service period has started. The administration fee is £40. The teaching fee is equivalent to the full fee of the course divided by the number of lessons that have taken place up to the withdrawal date.
Service period starting dates:
• Term 1 - Service period starts 2 October 2023.
• Term 2 - Service period starts 8 January 2024.
• Term 3 - Service period starts 22 April 2024.
15. Exceptional circumstances for withdrawal, refund and deferments
15.1 Requests for withdrawal and refunds received after the Service period starting date deadlines will be considered only in instances of exceptional circumstances or if no more than two lessons have been delivered, and may be still be subject to pro-rata status.
15.2 Changes in residence or employment, personal income, personal circumstances or wrongly evaluated study or work workload and other personal, academic or professional commitments are not considered exceptional circumstances by the University.
15.3 Changes in the methodology used to deliver lessons (i.e.: face-to-face or online) derived from the Covid situation, or any other type of emergency situation, will not be considered as 'exceptional circumstances'. Hence, refunds will not be granted if a course is moved from face-to-face to online delivery.
15.4 Request for a full or prorated refund should be submitted to Languages at Leicester via online form.
15.5 Deferments are only offered when students withdraw from a course due to exceptional circumstances and within the same academic year (i.e.: registrations cannot be deferred to 2024/25 or after).
16. Cancelled courses
16.1 If the University cancels a course and is unable to offer a suitable alternative, then a full refund will be given. No administrative fee will be charged.
16.2 Courses are subject to demand and require a minimum number of registered students for the course to take place. If a course doesn’t reach the minimum number of students required to take place, the University will announce whether the course is going ahead or whether it is cancelled as follows: The first announcement will be made via email 7 days prior to the start date of the course; if necessary*, a second announcement will be issued up to 24 hours prior to the starting date of the course, again by email. If the University needs to take a decision within the last 24 hours prior to the starting date of the course, it will be announced to those enrolled in the course as soon as practically possible in advance of such course starting.
* because the minimum number of students hasn’t been met
17. Changes to the date or time of a course: If the University makes a change to the date or time of the course and the participant is unable to attend due to the change, then a full, partial or pro-rata refund will be given, accordingly. No administrative fee will be charged.
18. Single session cancellations
If a single lesson is cancelled, the University will endeavour to make up for the lost session by offering alternative dates and/or times. If this is not possible, a pro-rated refund for the cancelled class will be granted. Cancellations for reasons outside the control of the languages department or the University (e.g. weather conditions, a security alert or closure of facilities due to a pandemic) will not be granted a refund. Single session cancellations are not considered as changes to the date or time of a course and will not invoke Clause 17 of these Terms and Conditions.
19. Limitation of liability
19.1 Nothing in these Conditions shall limit or exclude the University's liability for:
19.1.1 death or personal injury caused by its negligence, or the negligence of its employees, agents or subcontractors; or
19.1.2 fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
19.2 Subject to clause 19.1:
19.2.1 the University shall under no circumstances whatever be liable to the participant, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, for any loss of profit, or any indirect or consequential loss arising under or in connection with the courses and or the provision thereof; and
19.2.2 the University's total liability to the participant in respect of all other losses arising under or in connection with these, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, shall in no circumstances exceed the amount of the fees paid by the participant to the University.
19.3 The terms implied by sections 3 to 5 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 are, to the fullest extent permitted by law, excluded from these Terms and Conditions.
19.4 This clause 19 shall survive termination of the participant’s contract with the University.
20. Data Protection
The University will use the personal information provided by the participant to:
20.1 provide the language course;
20.2 process the payment for enrolling on the language course; and
20.2.1 inform the participant about similar products or services that the University of Leicester provide, however the participant may stop receiving these at any time by contacting the University at the following email address: email@example.com
20.3 L@L will only share personal details with external awarding bodies (such as Instituto Cervantes - DELE exams; Institute of British Sign Language or Signature - BSL accreditation; The Japan Foundation - JLPT; and the CCI Paris Ile-de-France - DFP, Business French Diplomas) when students willingly register to undertake these assessments. The exact information shared with those institutions will be included in the registration forms.
20.4 L@L’s students have the right to obtain confirmation as to whether or not their personal data is being processed, and, where that is the case, access to the personal data and processes undertaken according to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
21. Disputes and complaints
21.1 Should the participant have any complaints, please notify the University as soon as is reasonably practical using the contact details provided below:
21.2 Full details of the University of Leicester’s complaints procedure.
22. Governing Law and Jurisdiction
22.1 These Terms and Conditions and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with these Terms and Conditions, or their subject matter or formation (including non-contractual disputes or claims) shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the law of England and Wales.
22.2 The University of Leicester and the participant hereby irrevocably agree that the courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with these Terms and Conditions or their subject matter or formation (including non-contractual disputes or claims).